My SEF the more i try the worse it gets!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My SEF the more i try the worse it gets!!

Hi my name is Gell .
    i am trying to complete my first SEF. Its very daunting and i'm not sure if its even close , i have researched i have downloaded Ebooks (thanks sarah)

the problem is that every time i think ............DONE , i read something else and think "i haven't covered that!!"

Any got any time to read it (critically?)

If i'm asking to much then i apologize but my support worker is away and i would have liked to get it submitted .......its like a monkey on back

cheers

Gell

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

My advice would be to submit it anyway, it's supposed to be a live document, just keep a list of the additional stuff and go back and update it when tot have time. It's supposed to be as much a tool for your own reflection as a it is a guide to a visiting ofsted inspector, Mr or Mrs O will ask questions to fill any gaps and you've got time to tell them anything you know isn't explained well.
    I would guess that the mere fact you've bought Sarah book and are passionate enough to want a second opinion means it's fab!

3. Likes Livercool, Maza liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Agree with messy! It doesn't have to be perfect.

5. Likes Livercool liked this post
    Simona Guest

I am redoing mine and really concentrating on what Ofsted are asking in the guidance which I keep by my side when writing......amazing how much I put there before that was actually duplicated again...although at last inspection the inspector liked it??

I would suggest do a section at the time...print it and read it the next day...mark what you feel is not to the point and edit then move on to the next section

I wish it could be made more friendly though...
    I hate those small windows where you can't see the entire bit you are writing and ...why oh why...when you save it it goes back to the beginning? it is infuriating

As for giving ourselves a grade...well that takes the biscuit!

Good luck

7. Likes Livercool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the responses

find the responses refreshing .....thanks

I thought everyone was super critical but i value a bit of feedback ........have printed it out a couple of times ........sick of looking at it now

I'm sure it will be ok .....wont it

Gell

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Livercool View Post
    find the responses refreshing .....thanks

I thought everyone was super critical but i value a bit of feedback ........have printed it out a couple of times ........sick of looking at it now

I'm sure it will be ok .....wont it

Gell
    It will be ok I promise...you have written so it is your work and own reflection....you can understand it and give feedback to the inspector if needed
    a glass of wine make it even better!!
    Put it away now and go back tomorrow...hope I follow my own advice and do the same as I am recommending to you!

aug 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When I did mine first time and submitted it, I went back to look at it and alot of the text had been moved and put in other sections. Typed by the side was "this txt has been moved to ...."delete from **** to ****. That's helpful I thought but it doesn't actually make a lot of sense to me now. It has sort of put me off keeping it updated although I have been trying. I'd like to wipe it clean and start again but I'm not sure if I can

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    When I did mine first time and submitted it, I went back to look at it and alot of the text had been moved and put in other sections. Typed by the side was "this txt has been moved to ...."delete from **** to ****. That's helpful I thought but it doesn't actually make a lot of sense to me now. It has sort of put me off keeping it updated although I have been trying. I'd like to wipe it clean and start again but I'm not sure if I can
    Yes that was extremely frustrating and it happened when Ofsted changed to a different format a while back...you will be ok now
    Don't give up and try again

feb 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Default that happened to me too!

Quote Originally Posted by SYLVIA View Post
    I updated my sef too and the same happened. I couldn't make head nor tail of it. What I had spent ages updating, then had comments like use tx from previous sef,moved this**** to ****. The whole thing took me ages. I just don't understand it and don't know who has written the comments. I haven't really felt comfortable phoning and asking, so basically just left it and have worried about it thinking i must sort this on my day off!
    Did you manage to sort yours out? Pls post advice if u did. thanku!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Poppy , its an automated system that moved the text.
    when the form changed they moved the sections to the 'most appropriate' new section , so the text answers the nearest fit question.
    Just go through and delete the comments 'text moved etc..'
    Then read through , does it still make sense grammatically. Does it relate to the ofsted heading? I had to make relatively few changes to mine when they moved it around tbh , though yes it was a pain in the rear !

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I really hate that tiny window to type in, I now try to write it as a word document and then copy and paste it across to my SEF but then when you try to update and add things you have to keep scrolling up and down trying to find the part you want to change.

Simona Guest

So do I HH...actually ridiculous how small it is and every time you save the script it goes back to the top...I sincerely hope they will alter that...I remember mentioning it at OBC when we discussed their website...in fact all needs to be updated by ofsted

mam2three...yes it is an automated system but it is hard when you go back and find everything has been moved by the powers that be...I found it so confusing too and totally threw me as I am not good at IT?

Poppy321...the only way I could overcome that problem was to print the version Ofsted changed and ...literally use a pencil to erase the bits they moved...I hope this will help you ...it helped me as I am a visual learner and had to see it in front of my eyes

Good luck and come back if you need help