What is a SEF?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What is a SEF?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is a SEF?

I registered as a childminder last month & I am not sure what one of these forms are or how I find one. Is it something to do with Ofsted? When they did my pre reg they didn't mention it.

Thanks for any help.

Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

SEF stands for Self Evaluation Form. It is an Ofsted form that you fill in on-line. There's info about it in the free resources. Basically, it is a chance to look at what you do, state what you do well and make decisions about where you need to improve. I found it extremely helpful doing mine, although it took AGES! I have my first graded inspection next week (scary biscuits) and when I spoke with Mrs O, she said that having done the SEF would help with the inspection.

See here:
    https://online.ofsted.gov.uk/OnlineOfsted/Default.aspx

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ofsted | Early years online self-evaluation form (SEF) and guidance for providers delivering the Early Years Foundation Stage

SEF Ofsted

SEF Prompt List

You will need to get a gateway key before you can start if online and its a good idea to do first in word so you always have a backup.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Simona Guest

Don't forget there is a new SEF online now to reflect the new Inspection framework ...both came in on 4 November 2013

Ofsted | Early years online self-evaluation form (SEF) and guidance for providers delivering the Early Years Foundation Stage

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my first graded inspection in Jan this year, I didn't do a SEF but had used other methods to self evaluate and Mrs O was happy. So I'm not due an inspection for 2 years minimum, when would you start a SEF form?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell1979 View Post
    I had my first graded inspection in Jan this year, I didn't do a SEF but had used other methods to self evaluate and Mrs O was happy. So I'm not due an inspection for 2 years minimum, when would you start a SEF form?
    The Ofsted SEF is not compulsory therefore you may want to continue with whatever system you have in place if that suits you...why not?

I do the SEF because I am not a network Cm so needed some form of reflection and opted for that.
    The new inspection framework does mention the SEF 0n page 7 but does not clarify what CMs can show as an alternative

Ofsted | Conducting early years inspections!