Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SEF - How long did it take you?

Hello All,

I am about to start the SEF over the coming days. How long did you také to complete the new 2012 version and how many words approx?

Many thanks in advance.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

0 hours because I don't do one.

3. Likes bindy liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Impossible to say because I spend time every week updating it - it's one of the most important documents I write because it allows me to constantly improve what I do and to reflect on how my improvements are raising outcomes for the children.

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It took me ages and ages, not something you can sit and do all in one go, well for me it took hours each night for around 8 evenings. It was 26 A4 pages. Don't know how many words on each page put was quite small type. I am afraid after I had spent so much time on it I could not bring myself to update it for a good year later! Lol! Good luck with it!

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you!

Thank you for your replies very interesting to read! Hectors House if you do not complete a SEF do you do something else instead? Just curious and I hope you do not mind me asking!

Sarah - thank you.

Bindy thank you for letting me know how long it took you wow! This is what I was afraid of as I had to write a SEF some years ago for a nursery and it took ages. I can fully understand how you would not want to go near it once completed.

Thank you once again.

Wiggle

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Impossible to say because I spend time every week updating it - it's one of the most important documents I write because it allows me to constantly improve what I do and to reflect on how my improvements are raising outcomes for the children.

Wow. You are way too organised!!! I'm a do it in one sitting type, otherwise I tweak and tweak!

Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Did mine on a Saturday, took most of the day. Inspector thought it was good.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggle Wiggle View Post
    Thank you for your replies very interesting to read! Hectors House if you do not complete a SEF do you do something else instead? Just curious and I hope you do not mind me asking!

Sarah - thank you.

Bindy thank you for letting me know how long it took you wow! This is what I was afraid of as I had to write a SEF some years ago for a nursery and it took ages. I can fully understand how you would not want to go near it once completed.

Thank you once again.

Wiggle
    It was me that I didn't do one! I effectively self assess as I go along. I have a large RA folder which includes Insurances, CRbs, Fire Checks, Gas Checks, Fire Escape notes, and RAs all of which is continually up dated and I make a note if anything is changed and why.

Children's records are self explanatory and of course are updated regularly. I have a Parents info Folder which is updated and I make a note if and why I may add or change something in that and that includes my Policies.

I make notes in my planning folder as I go along as to how an activity has worked or not. How I may do it differently and how it is changed according to age.

I have a visits folder and I do the same in this.

I have a Personal Development folder where all my training certs go and I have a log in that where I write down the course I have done or want to do, why i want to do it and what I expect to get from it, I then note when it was completed and what I have got from it. It also records the number of hours the training took.

Lastly I keep a diary of my own where I record what I have given the children to eat, did they like it, where we have been and who was here that day and any other notes like last week I had builders here 2 days last week. I also note anything I need to do, like replacement of a toy or a door stop or maybe something new for a child with a particular interest.

I do all the above as part of my business records and I feel it shows self reflection, development etc in spadefuls. Ofsted were more than happy 2 years ago when they inspected me and I got Good with a few Outstanding which was fine. I don't want Outstanding because to my mind you can only go down from that and I would rather be able to tell my parents I have always been graded Good by Ofsted and now with some outstandings.

I don't see the need with all the above to spend hours and hours completing yet another document and one that isn't compulsory and one that they told schools to stop doing a couple of years ago because it was not a useful document.

For me and my business I have to complete the paperwork I have detailed above in order to know where I am and that for me is plenty.

10. Likes Wiggle Wiggle liked this post
    Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MY SINCERE APOLOGIES RICKYSMITHS

MY SINCERE APOLOGIES RICKYSMITHS (and HectorsHouse)

I'm sorry I got it mixed up with another post. Sorry. I have builders into day and they keep messing with the electricy and I was going back and forth with word to reply as no internet. No excuse I know - I should have double checked before sending, sorry.

Thank you for responding and so in depth. This sounds great and I can see your point about the SEF. If you do not mind I may take some of what you are doing and try to incorporate it into what I am doing. I am not new to childcare although new to childminding and certainly Childminding is proving different in how you work. I like the diary idea as I always think what if I forget something! Also having a parent’s file and personal development file are great. I also like how you use your RA file. I have just up-dated mine (thought it would be a good idea as now children on school holidays and some have left and is quieter to reflect if any changes needed to be made). This is really helpful. Thank you again rickysmiths.

Wiggle