Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SEF doesn't have to be ofsted one

Am I right in thinking we can complete SEF any way we like? It doesn't have to be the ofsted form?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes you are right - as part of the Govt's aim to cut the paperwork burden they have told us that if we are required to do a Local Authority self evaluation document then we don't have to duplicate and do the Ofsted SEF as well.

However, from what I can gather talking to childminders who have been recently inspected - nobody told Ofsted inspectors.

I have included some advice about this in my thread here -

Feedback from recent Ofsted inspections

Hth

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you are right it is not compulsory to use the Ofsted one. It's a personal choice although the latest Ofsted one is much better and at least it covers the judgement areas

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Yes you are right - as part of the Govt's aim to cut the paperwork burden they have told us that if we are required to do a Local Authority self evaluation document then we don't have to duplicate and do the Ofsted SEF as well.

However, from what I can gather talking to childminders who have been recently inspected - nobody told Ofsted inspectors.

Hth
    no one seems to be telling Ofsted anything !!! they are just doing their own thing regardless of anyone or anything else!

5. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post

Hth
    Sarah...what you say is correct...SEF is not compulsory and if cms do one from their LA that is just as good...however...there are many unanswered questions

1. LAs may not be giving their self evaluation any more if they are not supporting cms

2. Ofsted will be the 'sole judge' of quality in future...therefore we need to have it clarified whether they only accept their SEF and no one else's

3. the advantage of the OFSTED SEF is that inspectors can read it prior to an inspection while the LA one can only be presented at inspection...does that make a difference?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Sarah...what you say is correct...SEF is not compulsory and if cms do one from their LA that is just as good...however...there are many unanswered questions

1. LAs may not be giving their self evaluation any more if they are not supporting cms

2. Ofsted will be the 'sole judge' of quality in future...therefore we need to have it clarified whether they only accept their SEF and no one else's

3. the advantage of the OFSTED SEF is that inspectors can read it prior to an inspection while the LA one can only be presented at inspection...does that make a difference?
    I think it does make a difference. When my inspector came to me she had pretty much made up her mind about me on the strength of my SEF. She did look for proof of everything I'd claimed (which I had), but for me, I do think it made a huge difference that she could read about me before she came.

I know the Ofsted SEF isn't compulsory and many CMs do very well without it, but I think it's a very powerful tool for selling yourself and making sure you point out all the things you do, but might not have the time or opportunity to demonstrate during an inspection.

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I think it does make a difference. When my inspector came to me she had pretty much made up her mind about me on the strength of my SEF. She did look for proof of everything I'd claimed (which I had), but for me, I do think it made a huge difference that she could read about me before she came.

I know the Ofsted SEF isn't compulsory and many CMs do very well without it, but I think it's a very powerful tool for selling yourself and making sure you point out all the things you do, but might not have the time or opportunity to demonstrate during an inspection.
    Same here Mouse...the first thing my inspector told me when I was inspected in 2009 was: I know all about you from your SEF and I can find anything because of how you described it
    It was true...she only asked questions on CProtection and asked to see the 'Parents info pack' for herself

That is how it should be and that is how we want it to be ...so clarification on what is required is needed urgently because the inspection regime has changed but we are confused as to what is required or each inspectors wants

Inspections should be carried out according to a well defined framework not at the whim of inspectors!