Sef help!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Sef help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sef help!

I'm completing my SEF I've just had a phone call from OFSTED they will be coming at the end of the month,

I'm struggling on what to put here in section 3
    How well the early years provision meets the needs of the range of children plz plz someone help I'm having a mind block :-/

Glitter Guest

I had my first Ofsted inspection last week. I only completed my SEF the week before. It took ages.
    Everyones SEF is different but the inspector said my SEF was well written, so I thought it might help you to know what I included.

I started with a descriptoin of each room I use and the way I set them up at the begining of each day e.g. activities available in each room, where displays are, how I display books to encourage reading, etc. At the end of each description I put any improvements I have made recently and anything I would like to change in the future. I also included example of the toys I have and a section about the garden and outings.

I then wrote how I care for unique children, enabling enviroments and positive relationships.

I would be happy to give you more advice if you need it as I know how hard it is to write your SEF.

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you had a look at this in free downloads. I just followed this and tried to incorporate every point. I also used the guidance Sarah has done on childcare.co.uk gold membership area if you have that.

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fr...ef_10_2012.pdf

4. Likes sarah707, phoenix2010 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's brilliant thank you what I'm wondering is room for improvement section I don't no what to put :-/

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If it's your first graded inspection then you can assess your setting and add anything you feel would improve the outcomes for children. For instance I've put a comment about getting the children out into the community more. It's your wish list I suppose.

For subsequent inspections you will need to show evidence of improvement. This document from free resources may help

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fr...mprovement.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stacieepg View Post
    That's brilliant thank you what I'm wondering is room for improvement section I don't no what to put :-/
    I'm at a lost :-(

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

are you aware of things that you do that you could do better , are you learning how to deliver activities that support children in their learning and development and how do you do that ?

I write in a diary everyday

"today we did xyz , I think that child A would have got more out of it if I had done this " and then follow it through

what courses would you like to do to expand on your experience and knowledge

I have switched from paper journals to orbit , i find that i keep them up to date more often and also it improves communication about the eyfs and how im delivering it with the parents

I now plan more activities and I use the childrens interests to do this , before i did this I struggled to bring any kind of structure into individual childrens learning

Try to think of things like this , things you have improved and things you are working on improving in the future

it could be an improvenent to your setting , equipement , your performance , how you communicate with parents etc

sorry ive rambled but hopefully it helps

Post Thanks / Like

No that's good it's just on section 3 there's an improvement part and then again on section 4 I ask my LA lady if its sort of the same thing as I would just repeating myself amend she said no that's what confused me and also been told to completely fill the pages but I feel only put what you think u need to as I don't want to put things that are just there for the sake of it :-)

aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

no idea , i havnt seen the new SEF layout but i would think if you use the guidance that Rick posted a link too it should be come clear what the difference is ?

to be honest Im totally putting off doing mine

Post Thanks / Like

Lol wish I could the link is good for the most of it but doesn't really tell you what sort of things should be in improvement I'm having a SEF meltdown as I only have 2 parts to complete :-| stressed out lol xxx

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stacieepg View Post
    No that's good it's just on section 3 there's an improvement part and then again on section 4 I ask my LA lady if its sort of the same thing as I would just repeating myself amend she said no that's what confused me and also been told to completely fill the pages but I feel only put what you think u need to as I don't want to put things that are just there for the sake of it :-)
    Yes don't waffle or the important bits will fade into the background. Noone says how many words you have to do for your SEF (or even that you have to do one), do as much as you need to to show evaluation of your setting. Mine was about two sides of A4 for each section but yours may be less or more.

Remember there is no right or wrong answer to anything you write in your SEF but go through the guidance and write honestly!