Making your own SEF, anyone?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Making your own SEF, anyone?

I was told by Mrs O on tuesday I can make my own SEF like a learning journal scrapbook. Does anyone do this? I can put in pictures, what things I do and dont do and any goals.

Any advice would be great!

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like the sound of that ... I'd be interested in hearing what anyone else does

Post Thanks / Like

Me too, sounds much better than one were suppose to do

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That is kinda what I do. I have never completed the SEF as I find it repeats what I am doing a lot of the time. I do a number of things.

I have a large photo album

I have two multi frames with photos above the children's pegs so I an demonstrating sharing with the parents what we are doing.

In the folder where I keep ideas for activities I make a note of what has worked, how I adapt it for different age groups, how I may have changed it from the original idea to suit what I do. I also have a simple list of ideas I may use in the future and a list of where I get the info, so web sites, forums, mags, books etc.

I have a Training file with all my certificates in and in the front I have a Training Log I note down what course, when and where I did it, why I did it and how it has affected my practice or not as the case may be.

In my RA folder I record things like Escape Practices and not any changes I may need to make, I note down any changes I may make for individual children so I am meeting their needs. I note down any changes I have made to my home and why and things I am thinking of doing in the future and why this is for the house and garden.

The most recent thing I have started to do is to keep a note of what resouces, like new toys craft stuff etc and why I have bought them. I also want to add a wish list to this.

I keep my own daily diary where I note down the menu, who was here, where we went, what we did, if anyone comes to the house, if I have take or collected my children to or from school or the station, if we have been to the shops, on an outing, gone to toddlers. I note down in this if we have done something and I want to make changes.

I feel that all of this along with the children's LJ all add up to me demonstrating how I constantly reflect on my practice, improve and change.

For me doing a Sef would just be doubling up on my paperwork for no reason. I haven't had any adverse comments at inspection about this but then an inspector can directly mark you down for not doing a Sef because you don't have to do one.

5. Likes mum24 liked this post