Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Won't have completed SEF by my inspection :(

Hi, I have printed off the SEF and have made rough notes in each section. I didn't understand some of the questions to be honest although Sarah's ebook has helped lots!!
    I've just been reading through some threads on here and am getting worried that I haven't done enough its my first graded inspection.
    I've been minding for three months and only have a little one 3 days a week and another one alternate saturdays.
    I've written a big list of improvements I know I need to make and resources I want to buy and why.
    I'm moving house in two weeks and am getting myself so wound up. I'm no good when people fire questions at me , I just go blank and struggle, so I'm dreading my inspection now
    How much will the inspector expect me to have done?
    Stacey

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jade4790 View Post
    Hi, I have printed off the SEF and have made rough notes in each section. I didn't understand some of the questions to be honest although Sarah's ebook has helped lots!!
    I've just been reading through some threads on here and am getting worried that I haven't done enough its my first graded inspection.
    I've been minding for three months and only have a little one 3 days a week and another one alternate saturdays.
    I've written a big list of improvements I know I need to make and resources I want to buy and why.
    I'm moving house in two weeks and am getting myself so wound up. I'm no good when people fire questions at me , I just go blank and struggle, so I'm dreading my inspection now
    How much will the inspector expect me to have done?
    Stacey
    I'm going to be the ultimate hypocrite and tell you not to worry. I'm the world's worst worrier (i sometimes worry what will happen if I run out of stuff to worry about.) Like you, I hate being questioned or examined, even when I know that I 'know my stuff.'

I was inspected after about 4 months of minding and felt totally unprepared. I spent the preceding weekend flogging myself to death to submit a SEF. Like you, I didn't feel a lot of it made sense (I'm still convinced it's designed for nursries, not CMs.)

My inspector pretty much declared it to be one of the worst SEFs she'd ever seen, BUT went on to say that didn't matter. What really matters is your day-to-day practice. If you can demonstrate 'reflective practice' (ie. that you think about what you do, and how to do it better) then the SEF isn't entirely necessary: in fact, there are far better ways of self-evaluation than using the SEF. I strongly suspect the SEF is there to make the inspector's job easier, but any good inspector won't really need it, cos they know which questions to ask and what to look for in a CM's practice. But as she said, she's not there to trip us up on our weak points, she's there to help us demonstrate our true capabilities.

I'd also mention to the inspector that you're under stress because of the impending move - it's recognised as one of the most stressful times in life. I told mine that I was very nervous because: 1. I hate any sort of 'test'; 2. my 2yo granddaughter (who was in my care) was out of sorts and playing up because her parents had split; 3. The lo's were unable to understand why their routine had been dissturbed for the purpose of inspection. I think she made some allowances for that. At the very least, it shows some self-awareness that you realise your situation could affect your mood and try not to let it affect the care you offer (eg. by trying not to take on too much extra stress.)

the positive thing about you being worried is that it shows you care. My guess is that you always care, and that level of care will almost certainly be reflected in the quality of your service.

Honestly, my inspector was lovely. The girls spent the first hour screaming that they wanted to go to toddler group. By the time it was all over, they were waving the inspector off and asking when she'd be back.

Not having a good SEF probably made my inspection take a little longer, but it didn't stop me getting a grade I was very happy with.

Hope it all goes well.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am pleased you are finding my e-book helpful!

Self evaluation grows over time so don't put yourself under great stress to complete the SEF... plus the Ofsted SEF is going to be updated soon.

Just note how you are changing your ways of working as you go along to ensure you meet the needs of the children... that's what Ofsted want to see

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds as if you are well on the right track
    Please don't worry about your inspection, you can't be expected to have everything you want to in place. It's a constant process of review, evaluation and then putting in place.
    My good friend Penny 1959 summed this up by likening it to this
    Constantly moving along the line towards a place that you never reach
    I have this statement embossed on my brain and if ever I get in a stress about things these words open my eyes! Just keep on moving down that line
    Carol xx

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carol M View Post
    It sounds as if you are well on the right track
    Please don't worry about your inspection, you can't be expected to have everything you want to in place. It's a constant process of review, evaluation and then putting in place.
    My good friend Penny 1959 summed this up by likening it to this
    Constantly moving along the line towards a place that you never reach
    I have this statement embossed on my brain and if ever I get in a stress about things these words open my eyes! Just keep on moving down that line
    Carol xx
    How true.

Children have a 'learning journey'. I think we'd do well to remember we have one too.

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't filled in mine when she arrived and all she did was ask me a few simple questions and suggested I had a look at it for next inspection. Almost 3 years later I still haven't looked at it

I will look at the new one for sept and start making a few notes. In my defence I do self evaluate on a daily basis anyway I just don't write it down!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't do one and never have. In fact I know the lady who says 'Constantly moving along the line towards a place that you never reach' actually does do a SEF either.

When I looked at it when they started it in 2008 I just went I then looked at it and listened to friends labouring for hours and hours over it and thought 'no'!

I was inspected last September and the inspector wasn't at all bothered that I had not done it and nor should she because it is not a requirement to do it.

My best advise would be to put it away until after your inspection. Have a look at what you are doing and how you reflect and then change or improve on what you have done.

Also consider resources how you use them and what you would like to get in the future, also that you are always reviewing what the children in your care enjoy and will purchase things to further their interests. Have a note with any planning you do about how it went or didn't and what you will do next time.

Have a folder with all your Training. Do a list of what you have done, when you did it, why you did it and what you have got from it.

Also have a list which includes First Aid and Child Protection with the date you need to renew also Food Hygiene if you have done it.

Then list any other training you would like to do, why you want to do it and when and from whom eg your LA Early Years, Children's Centre.

Make sure your RAs are signed and dated and have a note in the file with them when you would review them or why you might before the review date.

Working with parents. Do you have a Parents Info Folder for prospective parents to look at?

Do you have a Questionnaire to give your parents from time to time, and before your inspection so they can express their veiws about your service.

Have your parents at least signed and dated when they have looked at their children's LJs do they make any comments in them?

All of the above show you are reflecting on your business which is what Ofsted are interested in.

All the above show you are reflecting on your practice all the time without having to worry about the SEF as well.

may 01
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I don't do one and never have. In fact I know the lady who says 'Constantly moving along the line towards a place that you never reach' actually does do a SEF either.

When I looked at it when they started it in 2008 I just went I then looked at it and listened to friends labouring for hours and hours over it and thought 'no'!

I was inspected last September and the inspector wasn't at all bothered that I had not done it and nor should she because it is not a requirement to do it.

My best advise would be to put it away until after your inspection. Have a look at what you are doing and how you reflect and then change or improve on what you have done.

Also consider resources how you use them and what you would like to get in the future, also that you are always reviewing what the children in your care enjoy and will purchase things to further their interests. Have a note with any planning you do about how it went or didn't and what you will do next time.

Have a folder with all your Training. Do a list of what you have done, when you did it, why you did it and what you have got from it.

Also have a list which includes First Aid and Child Protection with the date you need to renew also Food Hygiene if you have done it.

Then list any other training you would like to do, why you want to do it and when and from whom eg your LA Early Years, Children's Centre.

Make sure your RAs are signed and dated and have a note in the file with them when you would review them or why you might before the review date.

Working with parents. Do you have a Parents Info Folder for prospective parents to look at?

Do you have a Questionnaire to give your parents from time to time, and before your inspection so they can express their veiws about your service.

Have your parents at least signed and dated when they have looked at their children's LJs do they make any comments in them?

All of the above show you are reflecting on your business which is what Ofsted are interested in.

All the above show you are reflecting on your practice all the time without having to worry about the SEF as well.
    You are right Ricky,I don't use the SEF form from Ofsted either. But the process is still the same for however you choose to self evaluate and as experienced childminders we have developed systems that best suit us. It's ongoing"constantly moving along that line to a place you never reach" always striving to be better, be the best you can. Jade is starting on that journey and as she progresses she will find her own path.
    I'm feeling very reflective this weekend
    Carol xx

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much all of you for your replies. I've been at work all day or I'd have popped on earlier we run a pub too, so very busy at moment!!
    I'm just going to put my little one to bed then go over my paperwork again. Tomorrow is for blitzing the house!
    Thanks again must try to stop stressing

Stacey x x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carol M View Post
    You are right Ricky,I don't use the SEF form from Ofsted either. But the process is still the same for however you choose to self evaluate and as experienced childminders we have developed systems that best suit us. It's ongoing"constantly moving along that line to a place you never reach" always striving to be better, be the best you can. Jade is starting on that journey and as she progresses she will find her own path.
    I'm feeling very reflective this weekend
    Carol xx
    Must be all that new paperwork you have been doing Carol!

sep-09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have one at all, I had my first graded inspection in Feb and graded Outstanding. What I do have is an action plan showing things that we have changed/plan to change, when by, why and tick it when its done.

All you need is a way to show reflective practice, as long as your not sitting there saying Im perfect at everything I never need to change anything etc and you can show that you do change and improve your practice there's nothing to worry about

Oct 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi I don't do one anymore. I spent hours updating mine prior to my inspection, at stupid oclock each evening. When my inspector arrived she apologised for not having read my sef as their systems were not working! I was livid!good luck. Deep breath and remember they are human...honest....;0)

Apr 11
    Post Thanks / Like

My inspector told me on the phone - don't bother to fill in the sef just write down a few action points!