SEF help please - the extent to which children feel safe
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    toddlers896 Guest

Default SEF help please - the extent to which children feel safe

Hi

I am in the process of doing my sef and am struggling on the above question.

It says consider the following:
    the extent to which children behave in ways that are safe for themselves and others.

How do i answer this? Do i just write down everything that i do to keep the children safe or do i give examples of things that the children do that shows me that i know they are safe?

Thanks
    Last edited by toddlers896; 01-07-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, no idea! But I do know that Sarah does a SEF e-book which I am sure is brilliant!

toddlers896 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Sorry, no idea! But I do know that Sarah does a SEF e-book which I am sure is brilliant!
    Thanks Boris. I have sarahs ebook which has helped me loads but I seem to have just become stuck. In sarahs book it says the question is not asking for a list of everything you do to keep children safe, it wants to know wether children themselves feel safe and how do i know.

The kids i look after are only 14months so how do i know as they cant tell me. maybe i am being thick but my brain is confused.

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it's correct but I put things like how I teach the children to manage risks for themselves, for example teaching road safety and visit to the fire station. I teach children to help keep each other safe by showing older children that small things might not be safe for babies. Children feel safe with me because I build a bond of trust with them, they look to me for reasurance, I encourage them to explore but that I am always there to support them if needed?

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't remember off the top of my head when I filled this in but you might know a 14 month old feels safe as they are happy to give you a cuddle when hurt, have the confidence to go and play in new places or at groups, happy to arrive in the morning, happy to show their feelings - happy, sad, cry when hurt etc, physically thriving, trust you and respond top small boundaries?......apologies if I am totally off track.....