Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Pre-reg Inspection

hello everyone!

Im new here but wanted to ask you all a bit of advice. I live in Scotland and its the care commision that registers me here. I started the ball rolling by calling the care commision and asking if I could become a childminder. The woman I spoke to on my first phone call was very helpful and explained that I would be alocated a care commission officer (cco) who would:

On her first visit - come to my house with my application forms. Go over the forms with me and give me all the information I might like to know about childminding.

On her second visit - inspect my house to let me know what I might need to add or change. I was advised not to change anything or buy any equiptment before first inspection coz you wont know what theyre looking for necessarily.

On the third visit - After giving me a set time to make changes they'd check I'd made all changes and write a report as to whether or not me and my home were suitable then I'd be issued with my registration certificate if I was!

I got a phone call yesterday from a cco who was really helpful but told me they now do the initial meeting over the phone and just send the form out by post. So we had an hour chat over the phone which was fine but she then told me that coz of cut backs theyve chanced the process to just one visit and thats your final inspection which will done by a local cco and not the one ive been speaking to on the phone! Which means no one comes out to your house to let you know what needs done. So what happens if you fail your final inspection?!

Ive been in touch with the scottish chilminding association who have a childminding development worker thats going to come to my house to discuss some things with me so Im hopeing she can give me advice about the house then.

Sorry ive ranted on so much!

Amy

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pre-reg Inspection

Have a good look around the forum Amy... you'll find lots of help and information to get you going...

Post Thanks / Like

Don't panic - I'm sure your development worker will be able to point you in the right direction

There are quite a few members from Scotland also who will be able to help you

Good luck

miffy xx

April08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    CC - all 6's
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there

Having just recently had my inspection by the care commission the information you have been given is completely different to my experiences. I got sent out the forms by the care commission after contacting them along with the fire form and a few other useful bits of info. I was advised to complete the SCMA pre-registration training so contacted my local rep and got booked on a course for this. I sent off my forms, then within a couple of weeks i got a letter from a CCO who had been allocated to me and was advised on the date that she would come and see me and inspect my property. When she came to see me I had most of my policies and procedures in place as i like to be organised. She went through a lot of things with me and the visit was more a case of giving me advice and how things work once you are registered. She also gave a couple of recommendations for adjustments to my house (2 more secure locks on my garden gates which i was going to do anyway). I was told not to make any changes to my house until the care commission had been.
    Once i have my public liability insurance i had to send my Cco a copy plus a covering letter stating that her recommendations would be in place before i started minding.

Hopefully your SCMA officer will be able to assist you but i have never heard of anyone having to make changes to a property before the CCO visit. My cco even told me not to buy any toys/equipment until I know who i will be looking after so as not to waste money. My cco was very approachable and helpful, if you have any concerns I would call your cco to discuss things.

good luck

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that. So how long did the process of registration take for you? From what Ive heard the slowest part is waiting on refrences being sent by referees. The SCMA helpline STRONGLY advised I make no changes before being advised on what needs done so Im really confused now! the scma lady will clear things up on tues!

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to say good luck

Angel xx