scottish childminders-what all paperwork do i need??
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default scottish childminders-what all paperwork do i need??

hi all, as a newly registered minder last month im starting to panic about what paperwork i should be doing!! at the moment i have contracts from scma, daily diaries that i fill in each day with photos etc, i have had parents sign child protection, photo permission, outing permission etc forms, child record forms with allergies, contact numbers etc noted, i have made up a couple of risk assessments (what all do cc expect you to have risk assessments for?? and are they just updated monthly etc or ticked off every single day??), ive been advised to also keep a day to page diary of my own-but what im supposed to note in it im not quite sure.

oh someone please help me as ive no other minders in my area to chat to as i live in a very remote town totally panicking!!! xx
    x x

Jan 92
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: scottish childminders-what all paperwork do i need??

Hiya,

Not been on for a while so just noticed your post, not got time at the moment, but will get back to you about what you need.

You seem to be doing fine, so don't worry,

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Medication, both long term and short term - advice/permission/policy all in one plus a proforma for logging it.

Restraints permission (highchairs, carseat, wrist straps that kind of thing) simple one sentence will do, signed by parents.

Lost/absent/missing child procedures

Fire Evacuation procedures (plus logged drills and alarm checks)

too early to think, will come back if I think of anything else

(where are you based btw?)

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you have a start-up grant and an Scma toolkit?

That will give you a lot of the forms you need to complete including contracts, child information forms, medication forms etc.

Have you done your course? You should have been given advice on risk assessments, policies and procedures etc as part of that...

I am writing about Scotland at the moment and there's a lot of information on www.ltscotland.org.uk.

Hth

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

I have:
    permission for medication - both prescribed and over the counter, sun cream, outings, to take photos watch tv, play computer games,
    long list of policies plus a sheet signed by parents stating that they received read and agreed to the policies.
    risk assessments but not daily (generic one for house and garden etc...one for outings...)
    fire safety checks (on your smoke alarms..at least weekly)
    fire drill routes marked in SCMA start up pack thingy
    fire evacuations documented..who attended when done..etc
    form for existing injuries should kids have one
    form for accidents and incidents while they are here
    asthma cards for asthma kids.

I also use the SCMA attendance record and accoutns book...so daily I write in it when kids come and go

and I take loads of pics to document what kids do both for parents and CC..
    parents get a couple of pages every 2-3 months with some highlights of what their kids did while here including pictures.
    no daily diaries though...they are not required as far as I could get out of SCMA and CC. but if you want to do them..do them

that's all I can think of at the moment
    Nicole xx

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=George;538019]

Restraints permission (highchairs, carseat, wrist straps that kind of thing) simple one sentence will do, signed by parents.

QUOTE]

oh that is a new one...need to do that as well then..
    it never came up with CC or scma that we needed one of these..

thanks george
    Nicole xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Was told to have one by the CCO who did my pre reg - although she was by all accounts a pernickity thing and that's me putting it in a polite way

May-09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Was told to have one by the CCO who did my pre reg - although she was by all accounts a pernickity thing and that's me putting it in a polite way
    haha that just made me laugh!!
    thanks...just really needed that!

a pernickity thing...this will be my favourite saying of the week now!

saying that..you wouldnt be able to take on a mindee if the parents wouldnt let you strap them into a car seat?? it's not like you can lock them into the boot....not in my car anyway...
    Nicole xx

aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Do you have a start-up grant and an Scma toolkit?

That will give you a lot of the forms you need to complete including contracts, child information forms, medication forms etc.

Have you done your course? You should have been given advice on risk assessments, policies and procedures etc as part of that...

I am writing about Scotland at the moment and there's a lot of information on www.ltscotland.org.uk.

Hth
    start up grant and scma toolkit??? and course??? i live in a remote town on the west coast of scotland, i was given the phone number of 2 really helpfull ladies in oban that have been a great help but thats all ive been offred, no courses, start up grants etc. really in a flap with reading all the info on this forum as everyone seems to know exactly what they should be doing and im totally lost!!!!!!!! my kids are aged between 10 and 13 months so ive not been doing any planned activities as such, ive just been taking them to soft play, toddler groups etc and taking different toys out each day, oh sooo hope im doing it right!! xx
    x x

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When I sent away for an application form from the Care Commission, I received details for a pre registration course. It was only on the first day of the course that I received my application form and the tutor for the course took us through it bit by bit. He even provided us with sample forms etc we would need.

Also When I had my pre reg inspection my Care Commission Officer (CCO) looked at everything I had done and made some suggestions of things I needed. What did your CCO say to you at inspection? Did she/he not go over your risk assessments etc?

-I do a daily diary for my full timer, am about to start one for my pre school very part timer.
    -I got the children to make a book of photos and drawings of all the things we did in the summer, I will do this every season.
    - I have a book for planning that I jot things down in
    - I have accident /incident forms
    - log sheets for fire alarm testing, toy cleaning,

will need to start doing the page a day thing but didnt really know what to write in it

Hmm there are quite a few permission things I dont have, will need to get something put together!

Jan 92
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone above, different cco's have different priorities, but the basics should all be the same,

I have a daily diary (notebook) for myself, I note what we did that day, lunches etc., any conversations I had with parents, (holdays, appointments they may have, changes to routine, etc) things I need to remember. At the back of the book I note down any ideas for activities I've seen in mags or on forums, before I forget them

hth any questions just shout,

aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeeAnn View Post
    When I sent away for an application form from the Care Commission, I received details for a pre registration course. It was only on the first day of the course that I received my application form and the tutor for the course took us through it bit by bit. He even provided us with sample forms etc we would need.

Also When I had my pre reg inspection my Care Commission Officer (CCO) looked at everything I had done and made some suggestions of things I needed. What did your CCO say to you at inspection? Did she/he not go over your risk assessments etc?

-I do a daily diary for my full timer, am about to start one for my pre school very part timer.
    -I got the children to make a book of photos and drawings of all the things we did in the summer, I will do this every season.
    - I have a book for planning that I jot things down in
    - I have accident /incident forms
    - log sheets for fire alarm testing, toy cleaning,

will need to start doing the page a day thing but didnt really know what to write in it

Hmm there are quite a few permission things I dont have, will need to get something put together!
    i phoned up the oban office for an application form, it came in the post and i filled it in and posted off with some policies id made up. i then had a visit from cc officer, she told me bits to add to policies and checked the house. then she came for second visit to confirm my numbers i will be looking after and that is all the input ive had!!!!!!!!!!!!! no mention of risk assessments nothing!!!!!! is it any wonder im totally feckin stuck as to all these things im supposed to be doing!!!!!

i have purchased a pile of e-books form sarah - CHEERS SARAH!! - i just need to wade through them and get myself sorted. without this forum i dont know where id be!!!!

thanks all of you for replying to my dilema!! xx
    x x

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Just remember that some stuff is completely different in Scotland to England

I know what you mean though about finding things out after the fact like planning and oh what did she call them, some kind of a portfolio thing for each child full of their work for them to take when they leave.

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

wow Calen! That is really unfair of them to expect you to just know these things.

I would say that your biggest priority would be to make sure you have enough good risk assessments. You will need these to cover you if anything happens, to show that you have assessed all the risks in your home and also for certain activities.

I would also try to put out a questionnaire now and again. I have just put out one about our first weeks and what the parents are thinking about the care etc.

I have also done a quarterly newsletter, basically just to recap on what we did in the previous few months and to tell the parents about my upcoming holidays, any new and also what I have planned for the next few months.

All of the self assessment stuff this year is about parent participation and involvment so this is a good start in proving that you do this.

I know what you mean though ,I would have been lost without this forum.

I have to say thanks to you as up until now I had been procrastinating about the day to page diary, so I am starting it today!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by carlen222 View Post
    i have purchased a pile of e-books form sarah - CHEERS SARAH!! - i just need to wade through them and get myself sorted. without this forum i dont know where id be!!!!
    Like George says some stuff in Scotland is different from England but everything I write is good practice.

Also you are reading stuff on here which might be for England and not really relevant for you... so don't panic about all of it!

I am writing for Scotland at the moment but it's not finished yet.

It's taking me a while to get to the latest information, I seem to be stopped at every turn... so I do know exactly how you feel!

If you have any problems we're all here to help

Latest Inspection Grade
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was just us in Scotland who had that problem Sarah

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysmile View Post
    I thought it was just us in Scotland who had that problem Sarah
    oh nooooo not just you!

I have written emails, jumped through all requested hoops, been banned from places... all kinds of exciting things and STILL not got the information I need from the authorities.

Thank goodness for my friends on here

Latest Inspection Grade
    6 Excellent
    Post Thanks / Like

Banned?

How exciting, who banned you?! you rebel

aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeeAnn View Post
    I would also try to put out a questionnaire now and again. I have just put out one about our first weeks and what the parents are thinking about the care etc.
    what a fantastic idea!!! thats me been minding one child for 5 weeks now and the other for 2 weeks so i think i will do that!!! .... now to think about what to put in it lol xx
    x x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Banned?

How exciting, who banned you?! you rebel
    It's a long story... I'll share it with you privately