scottish childminders - paperwork
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default scottish childminders - paperwork

hi all, my mind is completely boggled reading all the info on this forum about Early Years outcomes and stuff........ do i need to do all this kind of stuff in scotland???? my care commission officer never mentiond any of it!! just that there is a new grading system now and we have to self assess before the inspection. but doesnt seem to be anywhere near the work load you guys south of the bordre have to do??

please somebody help as im starting tomorrow and am in a flap about observations etc!!!! eek!! xx
    x x

Dec '06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    V Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: scottish childminders - paperwork

Its okay, we dont need to do the EYFS stuff, we dont even really need to do observations.

Dont go giving yourself more paperwork than you need.

I do a daily diary for the litte ones not at nursery and a scrapbook with observations but this is only completed once a fortnight or even once a month depending on what we have planned.
    Fiona xx

aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

PHEW!!!!!!! ive made up daily diary for wee one starting tomorrow but when reading all the posts on here i was like what the heck!!!!!! oh thats a relief we dont need to go thru all that palava then!!!!!!!!!! thats the one thing ive been worrying about-the paperwork!!!!!

xx
    Last edited by sarah707; 20-08-2009 at 05:04 PM.
    x x

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was the same when I saw all of the EYFS stuff on here!

I am not toally sure what the self assesment stuff for the inspection is about either. I was only registered in June/july so hopefully will have some months before first inspection to find out. I am guessing it will be in a form format?

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

can I move to scotland please? !

aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

my cc officer gave me a copy of this years self assessment form

not looked into it too much but it is set into 3 sections

quality theme 1: quality of care and support - you have to write down evidence of strenghths etc, for providing opportunities for visits prior to any child starting and preparing current children for new arrivals, gathering info on child and needs, that you are aware of confidentiality, supporting kids and families through changes in their lives, encoraging kids to form positive relationships...

quality theme 2 : quality of the environment -ensure parents participate in the service, examples of risk assessments, cleaning records etc, making best use of available space in home, ensuring kids have access to fresh air and excercise, appropriate equipment in home, making good use of resources avilable in community,

quality theme 3 : quality of staffing - ensure parents participate in improving service, evidence that service promotes health, nutrition and safety, offering flexible activities within a planned routine, include children when planning activites, prove that promote equality, fairmess, building self esteem, responding appropriatley to bullying and discrimination

just flicked through the book there to give you an idea, quite alot to fill in all at once!!!!! wonder when we get this?? is it just few weeks before inspection?? xx
    x x

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

wow that all seems way over my head! I know all of these things are things we do day in day out without thinking of them but when I have to put it in writing in a certain way using certain language etec PANIC!

I vaguely remember my CC saying something about being able to fill something in online, being able to save it so I don't have to do it all at once. Wonder if this is what she meant?

Good to have a look in advance though, thankyou! Thankyou thankyou! Now I know what I should consciously be doing

aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

im guessing it must change year in year out tho?? but be along those lines. it sounds so complicated when looking at it but if put mind to it as you say it will be things that will be getting done anyway just never thought too much into :P xx
    x x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In Scotland you can do your self assessment form at any time on your computer...

But you don't upload it until CC contact you and tell you that they need it!!

They give you 4 weeks notice of an inspection and that's when you do it!

I am working on some stuff for Scotland now

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Contact your cdo as well the SCMA do a self assesment and grading course that is supposed to be really helpful.

We where advised at training to do observations as the CC are looking for this at inspection, and this year they are looking for evidence of working with parents.

I have been doing daily diarys but my mindees mum doesnt want them but have been keeping a diary of my own.
    For obs I have taken lots of pics and have done a weekly sheet along the lines of on Monday we drew pics and attached a pic of this, I hope its what they are looking for

Good Luck for tomorrow Carlen
    Joy xx

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    In Scotland you can do your self assessment form at any time on your computer...

But you don't upload it until CC contact you and tell you that they need it!!

They give you 4 weeks notice of an inspection and that's when you do it!

I am working on some stuff for Scotland now

How do you know all this stuff??

Also when you say working on stuff I ma hoping you are working on some e-books and not working WITH the CC to make it more comolicated

aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

oh i bet the next 12 months will fly in till my 1st inspection lets hope i get to grips with the paper work and fast!!!!!!! i doubt therl be any courses anywhere near me so ill just need to play it by ear, tho there are plenty childminders in my town so i could always ask them for some help :P

cheers joybells for the good luck!! im just getting the toys etc set up for the wee one but my 2 are having a ball with them, can see everything being broken before she even comes!!!! ahhh!!! xx
    x x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LeeAnn View Post
    How do you know all this stuff??

Also when you say working on stuff I ma hoping you are working on some e-books and not working WITH the CC to make it more comolicated
    I'm aiming to make it all make a little more sense by putting it into plain English!

it's what I do with the Ofsted stuff so I thought I would turn my attentions to Scotland next - now I've nearly finished Wales

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I'm aiming to make it all make a little more sense by putting it into plain English!

it's what I do with the Ofsted stuff so I thought I would turn my attentions to Scotland next - now I've nearly finished Wales
    Looking forward to that Sarah
    Joy xx

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Phew!! That's great! Please make sure you PM me as soon as they are done

aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

ooooh me too!!!! good work sarah!!
    x x

july 00
    Latest Inspection Grade
    very good
    Non childminder member
    ex childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

looking forward to seeing it sarah
    karen

Jan 92
    Post Thanks / Like

Main thing is don't panic,

If you can, try and get on a Self Assesment and Grading workshop which is run by the SCMA. They are very useful, (I'm biased of course cos I'm an SCMA trainer and deliver some of these workships, lol)

I've also got some of Sarah's e books and know that if I do half of what she suggests I'll still be doing twice as much as is required up here.

If you've got any questions just give me a shout and I'll try and help,

aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

ooh, never knew there was such a thing as self assessment and grading workshops!! i live in the back of beyond so therl be none in my area, be interesting to find out what all the cover tho!!
    x x

Jan 92
    Post Thanks / Like

Any questions, just give me a shout and I'll try and help, or at least point you in the direction of someone who can,