Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default For The Attention of all you Scottish Childminders

Hi Ladies , my son who now lives and works in Scotland is hoping with ALL his heart that his Dad and I move north of the Border when Hubby retires from Home Office Duties in late 2010 He thinks I should ask you all what I need to do to carry on being a Childminder when I move lol he knows how much I love my job and I think he is worried that if I can't Childmind I won't move .
    It is sooooooooooooooooooooo hard it's like being torn between 2 lovers, this has been home all our married life (30yrs)and where we brought our son home to. Aaaarrrgghhh ,but we miss our son so much !!!!!!!!!!
    Any advise on the difference between Osted Regs and Care Commission would be really helpful.

Thanks for reading

Jan '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: For The Attention of all you Scottish Childminders

Hi June

First off all you would need to apply to The Care Commission for an induction pack and also get in touch with SCMA or local council about attending a pre registeration course (process with Care Commission goes quicker if you attend this) after you send back your application form they will be in touch about arranging a visit to have a chat (informal interview) and will have a look around your house, they will also have a look at your policies, which obviously you will already have, they will have to be amended though as we don't do EYFS up here. At the moment the focus is really on Working in partnership with parents, participation strategy and Child protection. Anyway, at visit they will arrange to come out again normally a couple of weeks later and as long as your references and Disclosure Scotland (CRB) come back thats you, it can take between 3-6 mths depending on how bogged down they are, when I registered a couple of months ago the whole process took 3 mths.

If I can help in any other way feel free to pm me

Erin x

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for that Erin . Biggest worry is with 6 months off will I want to return lol But I just can't see myself being child free it would be horrible.

Off now on Safeguarding course

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry, you'll love it up here and we're a friendly bunch only too happy to help!! The pre -reg course isn't compulsary and I think you will know everything they would teach you. The great news is that we don't do EYFS! There is a new document 'early years framework' that will be our inspection focus this year. As well as registering with Care Commission, we also have to comply with (but not register with as yet) the SSSC - scottish social service council. This ensures that we keep our professional development up to date etc.

My first port of call would be the SCMA scottish childminders association, they will let you know what you need to do.

http://www.childminding.org/

Hope all goes well.
    Ali xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Hi Ladies , my son who now lives and works in Scotland is hoping with ALL his heart that his Dad and I move north of the Border when Hubby retires from Home Office Duties in late 2010 He thinks I should ask you all what I need to do to carry on being a Childminder when I move lol he knows how much I love my job and I think he is worried that if I can't Childmind I won't move .
    It is sooooooooooooooooooooo hard it's like being torn between 2 lovers, this has been home all our married life (30yrs)and where we brought our son home to. Aaaarrrgghhh ,but we miss our son so much !!!!!!!!!!
    Any advise on the difference between Osted Regs and Care Commission would be really helpful.

Thanks for reading
    Oh June thats a shame

I understand though how you feel

You best not go before we manage to meet up though ha

Emler will be able to give you heaps of advice she is always really helpful if you want to message her

Angel xx

May 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 5
    Post Thanks / Like

wow June I can't believe you might be moving up here! I think great advice has been given already. I'm not sure that pre-reg training would be any good for you as you have been doing the job already and you already have all your policies & procedures in place. The SCMA would definately be the place to contact first & they are really helpful.
    I can understand why you are feeling so torn - it's a huge decision for you & your hubby.
    Feel free to pm me if you have any questions

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Girls for all advise . I will pm you Emler if I need more advise etc
    It is really silly I used to live in Troon before we moved here with Hubby's job and only planned on being here a few years, but that never really happened lol . I think my biggest worry is what if I leave here (which I love and have lovely close friends and I can't settle ) but then again to be with our Son (whom we adore ) would be soooooooo wonderful .
    He has suggested renting our house out, and renting a house up in Scotland for 6-12 months to see how it goes (very wise I think, when did he become the Parent lol) Hubby has no concerns about leaving, he has no attachment to anyone or anything, but me and our son (oh to be so detached must be nice )He says all his memories are in his head so he will take them with him. Ooohhh Im a very confused girl lol
    Emler our Son has just started at Dalmahoy , lots less traveling for him than to St Andrew's he has still not shelved his dreams of The Police Force yet)
    Angel we better meet up this Summer just incase I move or you may have to travel all the way To Scotland for a meet lol

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about it maybe if I took Carolyn with me I would be able to leave without too much trouble SORTED

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Thinking about it maybe if I took Carolyn with me I would be able to leave without too much trouble SORTED

Oh June you can not leave Carolyn

Take her with you

xxx

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you know Angel I think I might lol
    Your Hubby could always come to Scotland to fish and we could meet up

Post Thanks / Like

Its alright Angel, she is going no where without me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 5
    Post Thanks / Like

June - your son working 10 minutes away from where I live. My brother has a golf membership there & uses the gym etc all the time. He often has meals there (I must get him to take me with him next time!!!)
    I hope your son is enjoying his new job - he must be so glad he doesn't have to travel so far now

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Emler I have pm'd you