Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Advice from Childminders in Scotland

Hi Girls

I'm just new to the site and would like a bit of advice if you can help. I'm in the process of registering (have sent application off to the Care Commission) and am half way through the pre registeration course with SCMA....but I seem to be getting myself all flustered about the whole thing. For the 1st visit from CC what should I expect? And what should I have done at this stage, really want to make a go of this and start off on the right foot. Plus with the new grading is it that you just need to keep evidence of the chidren's work?

Really sorry....I know I've asked a lot of questions but any advice you can give me would be much appreciated

Thanks x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Advice from Childminders in Scotland

Sorry cannot help as England is different to Scotland. Doesn't your induction give you any ideas or don't they offer support workers?
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We do have some Scottish members and I'm sure they will be along to help you soon, probably enjoying a weekend away from the computer

Good luck and try not to get stressed, I'm sure we will be able to help you.
    Pauline x

Aug2000
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not the best of help as I registered before the Care Commission existed but a friend of mine just registered. The inspectors were really friendly if not a bit slow and really helped her out.

The evidence bit though - you have to evidence everything you do. Take photos, permission slips for outings,write reports, get parental letters, older kids can do reports etc. Have policies for everything and risk assess everything you can think of. Parent and kids questionairres are good.

You wont be expected to have all of that in place immediately though - I think they expect the house to be in order with fire blankets etc and stair gates.

Talk to your inspector, they are there to help you not judge you. They want it to be right too.

May 200
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 5
    Post Thanks / Like

Your first visit from the Care Commission will be pretty informal so don't panic! They will have a look around your home and discuss which rooms you intend to use for minding. They will also advise you on any safety issues like cupboard locks, fire blanket etc.
    I had made a good start on my policies & procedures for my first visit so my officer was able to have a look at them. We also discussed toys/resources I intended to get. As I said its all really relaxed so nothing to worry about. If you have any other questions feel free to ask x

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

Care commission are actually there to guide you through the process, so don't get stressed they're only doing a job the same as the rest of us. First visit as has been said is just to check your premesis and to advise you what needs to be done. There are around 6 policies that must be done before you get registered and they'll keep you right with that too.

As for inspections- don't worry it'll be ages away yet, and again they are actually there to offer advice. Parental involvement in your business is the biggie this year, so any feedback you get from parents keep and record.

Good luck and relax and enjoy, it's a lovely job to do.
    Ali xx

April08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    CC - all 6's
    Post Thanks / Like

I found the SCMA pre-registration training very useful and gives you a few hints and tips on how to get started, I did this in Feb this year. The Care Commission visit was fairly informal for me, the lady was very chatty and was more there to help. I had some policies already written up so she checked them and suggested a couple of ammendments and these had to be done before i got my certificate. She will just check the area you will be minding in and made recommendations if required - i just needed an extra lock on my garden gate. The fire brigade will also visit and are very helpful with where to place your fire blanket, check your alarms etc.

I find this site really useful for getting all my procedures and evidence in place, also the forum on the SCMA is useful and I would also recommend getting involved in a local childminding group.

Good luck im sure you will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

you will be fine the 1st visit they will tell you what you need to do in the house,ie fire blanket first aid boxes 1 in car 1 in house.do you not know anyone in your area that is already reg?.have you done your care commision course and the scottish childminding courses they will help you with all the paper work .ie keeping records ,book keeping,car ins,first aid courses and more .