Thread: After school

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default After school

Hi,
    Do I need to plan activities etc for my after school kid? His mum would prefer he just chilled etc after a long day at school? Not sure if I need to be doing wellbeing and shanarri stuff for him or not
    Thanks

sept 07
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest asking the child what he likes to do and maybe plan an activity such as baking junk art etc once a week and the rest of the time go with the flow. I have an after school child and half the time he likes to watch TV or play outside or just play with the younger ones. Most days I sit him down to do homework (not that I have to put he likes to get it out of the way) so by this stage he wants to unwind. I do play an activity once a week but on Thursday we were going to make our trick or treat bags and got talking about the movie hocus pocus. The after schooler decided to abandon the art activity to watch the movie he will make them ob Monday instead
    Tess1981

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tess1981 View Post
    I would suggest asking the child what he likes to do and maybe plan an activity such as baking junk art etc once a week and the rest of the time go with the flow. I have an after school child and half the time he likes to watch TV or play outside or just play with the younger ones. Most days I sit him down to do homework (not that I have to put he likes to get it out of the way) so by this stage he wants to unwind. I do play an activity once a week but on Thursday we were going to make our trick or treat bags and got talking about the movie hocus pocus. The after schooler decided to abandon the art activity to watch the movie he will make them ob Monday instead
    Cool - that's what I've been doing anyway as we do arts and crafts etc but only if he is in the mood thank you

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As tess1981 says! We all 'chill out' in different ways on different days. For some it might be going to the park/playground after school, watching tv, doing art/craft, crosswords, reading, baking etc. We go through phases such as doing science experiments after school, or wordsearches etc. Just go with the flow and have a variety of things up your sleeve as you probably wouldn't want him just sitting watching tv everyday.