Going over ratio? Is it ever allowed?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Going over ratio? Is it ever allowed?

Me again. I am unsure what to do about settling a baby girl due to start with me on Friday 15th August. She will be 15 months and only coming on a Friday. I usually offer 3 2 hour settling in sessions free. Ideally I would have liked to do this Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 12, 13th and 14th then she would come all day on the 15th. On the 12th and 13th I have 6 kids (4 are mine and at school those days).

Do the wee ones definately count in your numbers when you are only doing a settling in session?

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

if its the same rules as ofsted then no it allowed to go over ratios for settling in.

Hopefully one of our Scottish members will see this and answer
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are ofsted registered - I pressume you are allowed 3 under five? as you will only have two under five (as all your 4 children are school aged and over 5yrs possibly over 8yrs therefore not in your under 5 numbers) why would you be over your numbers? just arrange the settling in sessions at a quiet time - if possible - maybe when other lo's have a sleep!?

Or have I missed something.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    If you are ofsted registered - I pressume you are allowed 3 under five? as you will only have two under five (as all your 4 children are school aged and over 5yrs possibly over 8yrs therefore not in your under 5 numbers) why would you be over your numbers? just arrange the settling in sessions at a quiet time - if possible - maybe when other lo's have a sleep!?

Trickiedickie is in Scotland
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OP is in Scotland so not under OFSTED. In Scotland all children under either 12 or 16 (depending on registration) that are under the care of a childminder are counted.

I would check with SCSWIS but I am sure that if you only have 6 spaces and 4 are taken by your own children (even if at school) you cannot take on a child settling if you are already full to your ratio.

CSSIW/OFSTED (I have worked under both) do not allow us to go over the ratio for settling or our own children's friends coming to play. If we are responsible for a child then there has to be a space for them in the ratio.
    Last edited by tulip0803; 23-05-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhhh just found scottish reference at bottom of page!!

So what is the ratio in scotland??

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ahhhhh just found scottish reference at bottom of page!!

So what is the ratio in scotland??
    Either 6 under 12 or 6 under 16 depends on the registering inspector. think like us it is 3 under and 3 schoolies.

8. Likes Koala liked this post
    Mar 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tulip0803 View Post
    Either 6 under 12 or 6 under 16 depends on the registering inspector. think like us it is 3 under and 3 schoolies.
    Thank you Tulip - that is a lot less flexible than ofsted then - taking your own children in your numbers up to 16yrs - very hard to provide flexible and wrap around care and make a living?

Slighyly unfair in my lowly opinion.

pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Thanks everyone. I really knew I couldn't provide settling in for this child apart from the one day a week she will attend. As I only have space that one day!

Yes Koala - I share your sentiment about it being unfair to only be allowed to mind 6 children under 16. I have four children of my own but my eldest 2 are 9 and 12. I would only want to mind 3 children a day, taking my numbers including my own kids to 7. Since I can only mind 2 children a day I am earning less than minimum wage an hour.

I know this is partly my fault for having so many kids! I accept my ratio's for now as I also factor in that I don't have to pay for childcare myself.

When I was registering (a few months ago) I thought you could mind 6 children under 12 a day. My eldest was about to turn 12 so I was quite happy at 3 minded kids a few days a week. All the childminders I knew were allowed 6 under 12. After registration I checked my certificate and noticed it was 6 under 16. The rules have changed and all newly registered childminders in Scotland are only being registered for 6 under 16 now!!

I have previously posted about this and was advised I could apply for a variation. I may do this if any of my existing mindee's need an extra day.

Thanks again everyone.