Pre Reg Visit - Scotland
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre Reg Visit - Scotland

I am looking for help/advice again! This is all I seem to do on here. Thank you all very much for your previous help too.

The inspector phoned me yesterday and is coming out to visit me week after next and then week after that!

What can/should I have in place for her visit? I have some toys but not baby toys, more toddler toys which I will have in my living room to show her. I don't want to put a stair gate up as not sure what age gap I will get to mind and my stairs are very narrow so I will need to get one specially made (will do if I get a baby/young child).

I have a couple of glass doors, should I buy the stuff to stop the glass from shattering now? Does anyone else have this and if so where did you get it from?

What questions am I likely to get asked? I can see that childminders in England are being asked about child development etc. in their pre reg visits. I am panicking about that.

I am so panicking. I managed to sleep no problems last night but I know as it gets nearer to the day I will struggle to sleep

Do you think I could email her and ask her what is likely to happen at her visits? Is this a bit too forward?

Thanks in advance. I have to go out now but will check back this evening. Thank you presumptuously.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I had my first pre registration visit in Sept and I am based in Glasgow. Nervous was an understatement, but there was no need really once she arrived.
    The inspector that came to see me did/asked the following;

went through my policies and procedures, asked about child protection and first aid training, hygiene and food handling.
    checked the doors to the outside can be opened without using a key
    checked my outside space, was secure and hazard free
    checked the bathroom and kitchen and pointed out potential hazards, such as lock on standing cabinet in bathroom, switching off kettle and toaster at the wall.
    checked that my home was fitted with 2 mains fire alarms, that had battery back up and carbon monoxide monitor was fitted
    She was very nice and offered great suggestions and support. She came back out for another visit the week after, to check the changes I made to my policies and that I had lock fitted on bathroom cabinet.[/B]
    Hope your visit goes okay and try not to worry.
    Fritz

pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Debo. I am in Glasgow too.

She came out last Tuesday.

The visit was ok. Think I am just feeling a bit negative.

She spent nearly 2 hours going over my policies. She wants loads of changes to them. She spent two seconds going round the bottom of my house, although I also want the top part registered. She pointed out a couple of ikea storage units weren't secured to the walls. She didn't actually go out to my garden but wants something attached to the bottom of my gate so children can't climb underneath. Don't think she was happy with the trampoline but told her I wouldn't let minded children on it. She said I couldn't use potty's if I have a minded child due to infection etc.

She is coming back on Wednesday and I think she may have to come back again as my head was buzzing with the changes I need to do to my policies that I don't think I took it all in. So think the policies will still be wrong!!

Only took me about a year to do the policies in the first place and just feel dejected as she tore them to shreds!! In as nice a way as possible, think I need to grow a thicker skin.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre reg visit - scotland

Hi there
    I just registered in September.I'm in east Kilbride. After my first visit I was sent an email of what I still had to do before next visit. It was so helpful as like you I was worked up and couldn't remember what she had said. If you haven't received an email I would even phone and ask if she could go over what you have to do. Fingers crossed it will be ok. Just remember to believe in yourself you have got this far. Hope you next visit goes well.

pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.

Hopefully I will add/change/delete/amend my policies the way I think she has told me and then email her them and ask if that is ok before she comes out.

There are a few changes to my bathroom that I need to make too!! I need a new bathroom cabinet as my existing one doesn't lock and I have to take the towels down that are on shelves quite high up above the toilet.

She has sent me emails before including links (although the links don't work) to different legislation, guidance and best practice, so many that again my head is just bamboozled.

Thanks everyone.

pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Shellbell. It is great to hear about other's experience.

Have you got much business since registering?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre reg visit-scotland

Hi
    I have one child 3 days a week before and afterschool and one child who is 3 who I have one day a week. Got a couple possible children for after Xmas though still to finalize. Fingers crossed it will pick up quick for yourself and registration goes through quick

pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Shell. That's good you've got a bit of business with things looking busier after Xmas.

I was hoping if all ok on Wednesday I would be registered then! Maybe being a bit optimistic. I've spent a couple of hours so far amending my policies so hope she is ok with it.

I'll let you know how I get on on Wednesday and thanks again for all the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pre reg visit scotland

Thanks hope it all goes well on Wednesday I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I'm sure you will get on fine

pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for your help Deb and Shell.

I emailed the inspector on Sunday night with the changes she suggested to my policies and asked what she would be looking for on Wednesday. She kindly emailed me back with a list of everything she wanted in my policies and corrected the policies I had sent her. I felt so much better after receiving her email back.

Anyhow, she came on Wednesday, went back over policies again and still have some changes to make which I can email her. She has said my registration should be through in 2 to 3 weeks

Thank you everyone for all the advice and help.

I know I will be back for loads more. I don't have a clue about anything!!

Post Thanks / Like

No probs at all. Glad it all went well
    Good on you not long now and can start childminding

Nov 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    Glad you got on ok - it's frustrating when you are so close and they keep adding things! I had a list of changes to make to policies and a couple of things to do in the house with locks etc and then I had to email once all done as was then registered a couple of weeks after that - I seemed to get away with just one visit but all the inspectors seem to do it differently! Xx