Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Watching tv

Registered Childminder since
    Jul 03
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Watching tv

Is it acceptable to watch c beebies for a while on tv as an activity?
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't done it as an activity but I always have cbeebies on

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I do.

If they are shattered and need to veg and we happen to have done a quite a few books earlier.

Or like yesterday. They were debating who the blue one was in Bob the Builder. I knew DS was right but other mindee was adamant DS had it wrong. Neither can read, so I iplayered an episode so they could discover for themselves and so mindee didn't feel I was siding with my son.

4. Likes Maza liked this post
    Jul 03
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to put c beebies on in morning till children all settled and in the afternoon to wind down just before pick up ???

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I often pop tv on while mindees are arriving I find it helps settle them in, I pop it on again when we get in from toddlers so I can sort out the lunch and sometimes it goes on again after tea as a reward for helping me tidy away toys.

I have a tv policy which I give to parents when they start which states that the tv is on occasionally during the day and sometimes on very wet days we may watch a film. I also ask them not to bring DVD's from home as they may not be suitable for every age and I can't promise we would have time to watch it. I created the policy after a parent said child wasn't to watch any tv here so that she could plonk child in front of tv when she got her home so mother could carry on with paperwork.

7. Likes Maza liked this post
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

We have it on 2-3 times a day at around 15 mins a time. If it's not being watched, it goes off. I've never had a parent complain.

Sept 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with a bit of TV, everything in moderation

10. Likes Maza, Dragonfly liked this post
    feb 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I put it on after lunch for a bit of quiet time for my 3 year old mindee while the babies have their nap

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    I often pop tv on while mindees are arriving I find it helps settle them in, I pop it on again when we get in from toddlers so I can sort out the lunch and sometimes it goes on again after tea as a reward for helping me tidy away toys.

I have a tv policy which I give to parents when they start which states that the tv is on occasionally during the day and sometimes on very wet days we may watch a film. I also ask them not to bring DVD's from home as they may not be suitable for every age and I can't promise we would have time to watch it. I created the policy after a parent said child wasn't to watch any tv here so that she could plonk child in front of tv when she got her home so mother could carry on with paperwork.
    I do this too, and also in the evening at pick up sometimes if kids are a bit wired ., started doing it when I had one who didn't want to go home if she was busy playing but found if tv was on she went happily enough., however I worry parents must think its on all day if its on when they drop off and when they collect!!

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

It's on in the morning and after school for my own son, all parents know this.

It's also on for a while after lunch for some down time, it also helps keep them quiet when other LO's are sleeping

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

I use it sometimes when I'm trying to prepare lunch or tea. Keeps them in one place so I can keep an eye on them. Three energetic boys are a whirlwind going through the house sometimes. I also use it just before home time to calm them down for mum.
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I have it on probably half an hr for the little ones. The older children have it on for longer, sometimes a DVD

I had it on a lot on Monday as while I was looking after 4 children in the playroom I had an 8yr old in the lounge playing with lego. It was so quiet in there so I popped the TV on and he watched CBBC while he made some great lego structures.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

We have tv on at coming in and going home time and if I need a distraction or someone's tired out or not too well.
    The coming in time is when I'm doing my blood tests, medication and food for my Diabetes, so lets me concentrate on ME!
    I'll also use things like Team Umizoomi or Bubble Guppies to help los understand shapes, patterns etc - we watch then we go and do, - it sometimes kickstarts their understanding.
    Brilliant one recently about Post Offices, which we then went and recreated.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have it on in moderation. The parents know we don't have it on all day as they see all the lovely art work that goes home, along with photographs and tales of adventures at playgroups, muddy clothes etc. I think they all need some chill out time during the day and cbeebies tend to have very educational, politically correct programmes anyway. x

18. Likes Ripeberry liked this post
    May 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm quite strict with TV but then I only mind babies at the moment. My DD is watching now while baby naps but I refuse to let her watch unless it's nap-time. But with after-schoolies or older children I think I would be less strict (otherwise risk cries of 'it's not fair!' from my own schoolies!)

Feb 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good Apr 15
    Post Thanks / Like

I have it on first thing as on mon and weds I start at 6:30, the 2 that come are 4&5so they watch nick jr until 7 before we start getting ready for the day.

Then again about 6:45pm before they leave at 7pm.

I don't put it on during the day, I have under 3's so no need, but we do listen to fun kids radio on the docking station

My own children 9&11 never watched much tv either, but then I don't