Picking up child
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Picking up child

Just done a contract but I have to pick child up as parent doesn't drive.
    Should I have a policy in place incase I can't get there due to bad weather

toddlers896 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dawnn93 View Post
    Just done a contract but I have to pick child up as parent doesn't drive.
    Should I have a policy in place incase I can't get there due to bad weather
    Ime no expert but if it was me I would just make a verbal agreement that I would pick the child up while I can. If I took on other children or it didn't suit me anymore then they would have to find another way of getting child here. I personally wouldn't agree to this on a permanent basis but it's what works for you. I occasionally drop off or pick up but only if it suits our daily routine.

3. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree I would not have Contracted to do this but would have done it as 'a favour' until the parent could make their own arrangements.

However yes you would be wise to have a robust Policy to cover adverse weather, car breakdown and adverse traffic that could make your late.

5. Likes lilac_dragon liked this post
    Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to consider what would happen regarding fees if you couldn't get there or were late, have you actually written in the contract you are to collect? If you have I think if situations for you changed you would be obliged to give them the relevant notice eg in my contract 4 weeks for change of hours or fees

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I do pick children up but I do not put this in my contracts. I tell parents that I will collect if I am able but if I can't then it is their responsibility to get their child to me as I am still available to work. I do not drive when there is lots of snow or ice and if my car breaks down I cannot collect.

I will only agree to collect if it suits me and does not interfere with our routines.

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    nov 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with tulip......I pick up as the children are near my dd school....if shes off then they come to me....its a verbal agreement between me and the parents not written in our contract....we had a discussion about pick up when weather is bad.....advised I wouldn't drive in them conditions. ......and couldn't guarantee what time I would get to them to pick up......I am going to advise that they come to me when weather is bad....parent go to work from near me so would have to come near my house anyways