Pre-Reg Visit But I Dont think im ready!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Pre-Reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Pre-Reg Visit But I Dont think im ready!!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]HI guys, I received a call on Friday from the Care Inspector and I have my Pre-Reg visit on Tuesday!

I don't come from a child care background, but it is something iv wanted to do for a while now. I have my Aims and Objectives sent off and my Policies and Procedures also sent off to my care inspector she has already told me they are both fine, and she just wants to come out and do my home visit.

I am just wondering what I have to have in place and also what paperwork I need to have and what questions I will need to know the answers to also!

I haven't been on any training courses, but I do plan to...I am a mother of two so I know bout children...I just don't have the money at the moment to pay for any courses, I will be doing it before I take on any children though.

So other than my policies and procedures and aims and objectives, I have ...

cupboard clips on the kitchen doors, no loose wires, and no sharp edges in my house, I don't have any stairs for stair gates but I was wondering do I have to have a gate on the kitchen door?

I don't have a fire extinguisher or blanket yet, I do intend to buy these things tho if I get passed. are these things a must for pre reg visits? will I get failed if I do not have these?

does any one know what questions I will be asked and what paperwork I will need to show....

sorry please flood me with information .....

Apr 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my pre-reg back in February so can't remember much. Each inspector is different. I had been speaking to mine on the run up to my pre-reg and she told me I didn't need to have things like stair gates in place (although we have one to stop the dogs going upstairs anyway). I just had my p&ps and my aims & objectives printed and she went through them with me with any changes she said I needed to make etc. She then just had a wander round and pointed out anything I needed to do, so fire guard etc! I then just had to email her to confirm it had all been done then she processed my registration.

Do you know who your inspector is?

Pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I was refused (failed)

I was refused to be a childminder today. Am not ashamed, i will pass next time i was given helpfull, advise and i am on the fence, regarding if Ofsted made the right discision. It has been over 2 years i have been trying to become a childminder. Due to health reasons it has prolonged (ofsted has made the time frame longer) reading the EYFS guidelines is vital, if i had read this document prior to neeting my chances may have improved. I have good understanding of most aspects regarding childcare as i have been doing it for years.
    I beleve honesty is important, if you do not pass at first it is not the end.There is too little talk about thoes that fail.
    Sorry for incorrect spelling & posting in wrong place(could not figure out how to start new thread)

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jay how View Post
    I was refused to be a childminder today. Am not ashamed, i will pass next time i was given helpfull, advise and i am on the fence, regarding if Ofsted made the right discision. It has been over 2 years i have been trying to become a childminder. Due to health reasons it has prolonged (ofsted has made the time frame longer) reading the EYFS guidelines is vital, if i had read this document prior to neeting my chances may have improved. I have good understanding of most aspects regarding childcare as i have been doing it for years.
    I beleve honesty is important, if you do not pass at first it is not the end.There is too little talk about thoes that fail.
    Sorry for incorrect spelling & posting in wrong place(could not figure out how to start new thread)
    Have you got local support- Local Authority Early Years team or local childminder groups? I hope you get some guidance if someone non-judgemental can meet you before seeing Ofsted they could see how you've prepared and give some tips and direction...? You can always ask here, good luck for the future- I hope it works out for you next time x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's really important if you don't have a background in childcare that you do a course and get as much information about childminding as possible.

You will find lots of free guidance here

How to Register as a Childminder in England - Childcare.co.uk