2 year progress check - some thoughts
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,494
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default 2 year progress check - some thoughts

    How do you intend to approach parents about their child's 2 year progress check?

    Quite a few childminders have contacted me already to tell me that they are having problems - parents do not want them to write the check (don't test my child at age 2) and Health Visitors haven't a clue!

    Here are my thoughts...

    First - we have to write a 2 year progress check regardless of parents wishes - it will be a statutory requirement.

    Second - the guidance document for the check, from the EYFS page of the www.foundationyears.co.uk website, says that the check should be written before the child's 2 year HV check, with input from parents AND given to parents to hand over.

    Let's look at it logically for a moment here... we are constantly writing observations, assessments and individual / next steps planning for all the children in our care...

    The majority of us are also writing regular summary assessments to share with parents and asking parents about what their children are doing and saying at home.

    That is really all the 2 year progress check is... a summary assessment of a child's learning and development including input from parents

    It might be on posher paper or you might have a form to complete from your LA - but it's still only a summary assessment.

    So... we write it... we ask parents for input... we put one copy in the child's file (for Ofsted to see) and hand the other over to parents with the request that they share it with the HV.

    Our job is done. We don't have to worry any more. If parents choose not to hand it over there is nothing we can do - the guidance is clear that we cannot approach the HV without parents permission.

    If there is a problem with the child's learning and development we are going to be flagging it up anyway regardless of whether we are writing a 2 year check or not...

    Does that sound ok to you guys?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    723
    Registered Childminder since
    1993
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sarah you are such a fountain of knowledge and information and help , I know most of us would be lost on her with out your input. Do you ever eat or sleep between your childminding and your help on here and off when you help us personally . You are one in a million xx

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    1,022
    Registered Childminder since
    apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thank you Sarah, that was my take on it but it's good to get it spelt out so well

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    12,122
    Registered Childminder since
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sarah this is exactly how I'm selling it to my reluctant parent. I just did an end term next steps report with a summary of her progress todate. I've explained it's no different to this really - sad I'm not getting to use my grids but so be it.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somewhere West of Watford!!!
    Posts
    9,085
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think that is entirely sensible.

    We were told to do the check as near to second birthday for this reason. We have a very simple 2 sided sheet from our LA that can be filled in using info from the child's LJ so from what we are doing anyway.

    Simples!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    Posts
    1,378
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    that puts things very simply into perspective - thanks!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,701
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That's the way I look at it too Sarah.
    I send out end of term reports to the parents anyway so the year 2 report will be no different to what I am used to doing anyway. When a child starts I get the parent to sign a permission form for me to do assessments and obs of their child - so I have that as back up anyway and the parents know why I do them so they so far have been ok with it all. So the year 2 check (luckily only got one child who is 2 at present) should go smoothly for me for my first attempt!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    4,772
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This is what I thought...Thanks for backing up my theory...thanks Sarah

    XX
    Needs to Zumba

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    oldbury west midlands
    Posts
    90
    Registered Childminder since
    june 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sarah do we still need to do the check if the child has been to the health visitor already? Or if they are 2 and a half.sorry still trying to read through all my eyfs paperwork

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,622
    Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    i will be aiming to do mine close to the childs second birthday, as round here, that is when they all have their 2 yr checks!

    i have told my parents its nothing different to what i already do, just something the government have decided we have to do if the child attends a childcare setting. i had one mum say, well, if Lo is with you 5 hrs, and the rest of the time with me, i'm the primary carer and i'm not doing it! how do they know Lo is with a childminder!

    i will just do a slightly amended form for the 2 yr old as opposed to my usual summative form!

    thanks sarah

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,494
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danielly124 View Post
    Sarah do we still need to do the check if the child has been to the health visitor already? Or if they are 2 and a half.sorry still trying to read through all my eyfs paperwork
    The 2 year progress check is for the HV so theoretically no.

    However, we are going to be doing summary assessments anyway so those can be used as evidence for Ofsted

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    134
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sarah, thanks for your help that makes it so much clearer and not as daunting! Can I just ask please, do we have to do a summary assessment? I obviously do obs and next steps etc but don't tend to do a summary assessment, is this something we are supposed to do as well or is it just good practice to do one? Thanks x

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    134
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosy Days View Post
    Sarah, thanks for your help that makes it so much clearer and not as daunting! Can I just ask please, do we have to do a summary assessment? I obviously do obs and next steps etc but don't tend to do a summary assessment, is this something we are supposed to do as well or is it just good practice to do one? Thanks x
    Just to add because I might not have made myself clear, I mean write a summary assessment every 6 months for example.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,494
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rosy Days View Post
    Sarah, thanks for your help that makes it so much clearer and not as daunting! Can I just ask please, do we have to do a summary assessment? I obviously do obs and next steps etc but don't tend to do a summary assessment, is this something we are supposed to do as well or is it just good practice to do one? Thanks x
    There are 2 statutory summary assessments noted in the EYFS 2012 -

    - Progress check at age 2 - which we do if we are the main provider

    - End of EYFS check.

    Beyond that it is up to the individual to decide how much they want / do not want to do.

    HOWEVER the Ofsted inspector's handbook states that, for a good provision, they will be looking for -

    'Practitioners complete regular and precise assessments of children and use these effectively to plan suitably challenging activities.'

    AND

    'Where children’s starting points are below those of other children of their age, assessment shows they are improving consistently over a sustained period and the gap is closing.'

    There are other notes as well which talk about assessment throughout the Eyfs as key to raising outcomes.

    This suggests strongly to me that some form of summary assessment will be useful for showing children are making good progress.

    Hth

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    134
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    There are 2 statutory summary assessments noted in the EYFS 2012 -

    - Progress check at age 2 - which we do if we are the main provider

    - End of EYFS check.

    Beyond that it is up to the individual to decide how much they want / do not want to do.

    HOWEVER the Ofsted inspector's handbook states that, for a good provision, they will be looking for -

    'Practitioners complete regular and precise assessments of children and use these effectively to plan suitably challenging activities.'

    AND

    'Where children’s starting points are below those of other children of their age, assessment shows they are improving consistently over a sustained period and the gap is closing.'

    There are other notes as well which talk about assessment throughout the Eyfs as key to raising outcomes.

    This suggests strongly to me that some form of summary assessment will be useful for showing children are making good progress.

    Hth
    Thanks Sarah

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    215
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 09
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've had no paperwork or form given to me for this 2 year check from my network or LA so not really sure what to use????

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,494
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    I've had no paperwork or form given to me for this 2 year check from my network or LA so not really sure what to use????
    Look at the samples in the 2 year progress check guidance document here -

    www.foundationyears.org.uk - EYFS page

    Then make your own! If you do a forum search there are quite a few samples knocking around too

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jan 201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default 2yr check

    I've just been reading up on this as our LA are going around telling minders to go to the HV and get them to add info to the 2yr check!? I'd read it as you have stated it, fill in form, get parents comments, they pass to HV if they choose.

    They've worried one of my friends into thinking she'll be doing the job of the HV!! I've given her my take on the 2yr check, so hopefully she won't be throwing in the towel!

    Personally I think it's a good thing. And I've adapted one of the examples from the back of the guide.

    Ps, I love ur posts, so helpful

    Heather

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    37,494
    Registered Childminder since
    1994
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heather4932 View Post
    I've just been reading up on this as our LA are going around telling minders to go to the HV and get them to add info to the 2yr check!? I'd read it as you have stated it, fill in form, get parents comments, they pass to HV if they choose.

    They've worried one of my friends into thinking she'll be doing the job of the HV!! I've given her my take on the 2yr check, so hopefully she won't be throwing in the towel!

    Personally I think it's a good thing. And I've adapted one of the examples from the back of the guide.

    Ps, I love ur posts, so helpful

    Heather
    Awww thank you Heather!

    The trouble with the 2 year check seems to be that LAs are making it up as they go along...

    But if you follow the guidance that's what Ofsted want to see so you will be fine!

  20. #20
    toddlers896 Guest

    Default

    Does the 2 year progress check have to be all positive.

    I have a little one that wont share so should i put that in the PSED area. Her speach also isnt too good so ime not too sure
    wether its okay to be negative.

    Thanks in advance x

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Quick Links and Advertisements

Important Information Links
Some Useful Quick Links
Advertisements

 

You can also find us on:
2 year progress check - some thoughts 2 year progress check - some thoughts 2 year progress check - some thoughts

We use cookies to make this site as useful as possible. They are small text files placed in your browser to track usage of our site but they don’t tell us who you are.
By continuing to use this site you are consenting to cookies being placed on your computer. Find out more here: Cookies in Use

Childminding Help and the Childminding Forum are part of Childcare.co.uk