Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Childminder since
    Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Just a thought but my LA says its not just safeguarding that needs to be local authority approved but first aid too
    3.24 at least one person who has a current paediatric first aid certificate must be on the premises at all times when children are present and must accompany chikdren on outings. First aid training must be local authority approved. ....

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

yeahhh that one...

only my LA says they only want us to use HSE approved trainers...

great, only to search for HSE approved trainers you need to know the name of the organisation...

it has been fed back and a complex list of 'how to find the info followed'

why can't we just have a list

that has been fed back too

boo

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

my LA gave me a list that i HAD to do with training with .... some companies didn't exist anymore and others were not running specific peadiatric training

i found a comapny who did, who specifically ran courses for childminders and rang my LA, who said ''if you are happy it complies with the course you need to do, then that is fine" '' i asked if they needed any details of the company ... NO !!!

Oct 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    The revised EYFS is now a week away! Are you ready?

Here are a few more things you might need to do to prepare yourself…

• Are you happy that you understand how to use the prime and specific areas of learning, so the focus is on the prime areas for the little ones… but all children still have plenty of opportunities to sing, dance, make music, explore the world around them, use ICT etc?

Have you thought about how you will show this in your paperwork?

• Are you aware that any safeguarding training you attend in the future must be local authority approved? Have you spoken to your LA about which training provider(s) they intend to approve so you are organised?

• Have you noted that once a child starts school you do not have to deliver the full EYFS - BUT you do need to speak to their parents and other settings about how to complement their learning and care? Do you have a system in place ready to evidence your conversations and parents / other setting thoughts?

• Are you aware of the new requirements that if a child attends your provision who speaks English as a second or additional language you must be ready to show how you will support the child’s use of their home language in the provision as well as teaching them English?

If this applies to you... have you thought about how you will evidence it?

• Have you made a decision about which risk assessments you are going to write and which will be in your head? Be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater!

• Have you noted that records about individual children must be retained for a ‘reasonable period of time’ instead of 3 years as in the current EYFS? However, for insurance purposes many records must be retained until the child is 21 years old.

Parents need to be informed about which records are retained and for how long to help you comply with the Data Protection Act - have you thought about how you will organise this?
    • Have you noted that the EYFS (2012) no longer requires you to note an adult with ‘legal contact’ for the child - however parental responsibility must still be recorded?

• If you employ an assistant have you noted the new requirement - childminded children may be left in the sole care of childminders’ assistants for 2 hours at most in a single day?

It is strongly recommended that you keep accurate records of times when children are left alone with assistants in case of query or complaint in the future.

• Have you noted the revised requirement that fresh drinking water must be available and accessible at all times (not just available)? Do you need to make changes to the place where drinks are stored so they are always accessible to the children? How will you manage this if you have children of very different ages?

• Are you aware that, under the revised EYFS, children must usually be within sight and hearing and always within sight or hearing? Are there any times during the day when children are out of your sight and hearing - such as when you are collecting older children from school or due to the layout of your house while you are preparing meals?

How will you arrange things from Sept to ensure you meet the requirement?

• Have you read that new requirement that parents must be provided with a telephone number to contact in an emergency? Have you provided this information to all parents?

• Are you aware that there is no longer a requirement to gain permission from parents to obtain medical advice or treatment on behalf of a child? You will need to be aware of this when you are completing documentation with parents, especially if the form you currently use to ask this permission also requests details about emergency contacts as these will still be needed.

• Have you noted that there is no longer a requirement to carry out fire escape practices with the children? Have you thought about how you intend to show evidence that children know what to do in the event of a fire if you no longer write down their reactions to practices?

A lot of childminders are worrying that there is more of a burden than ever before to complete documentation, despite the government telling us that we should be doing less!

It is true that some things do need organising so you are ready for the start of the revised EYFS in September.

However, once they are in place, they should only need tweaking in the future!

There is lots of help around the forum and in free downloads... just one last push ready for September guys!
    hi

what records SHOULD we retain please? I just presumed that it was all paperwork that we had for that child? I've never thrown anything away for any of the children i've cared for as i thought it all had to be kept ? but maybe not ? is there somewhere where I can find a list of exactly what we should be keeping? i maybe able to clear some space if i don't need to keep everything

many thanks

jo x

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sarah so much for this list. I havn't picked up on some of these points, so I'm really greatful xxx
    Wellybellyxxxxxxxxx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Irrelevant
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joannetalbot View Post
    hi

what records SHOULD we retain please? I just presumed that it was all paperwork that we had for that child? I've never thrown anything away for any of the children i've cared for as i thought it all had to be kept ? but maybe not ? is there somewhere where I can find a list of exactly what we should be keeping? i maybe able to clear some space if i don't need to keep everything

many thanks

jo x
    thanks Sarah but where does it say this in the EYFS about not needing to do fire drills with children? does this mean we would if we have others working with us? do nurseries have to do them? medical permission for children? and legal contact? does it matter if we still do this because i think its important to find out whos got legal contact! is it because it no longer states this in the eyfs ive looked several times not noticed it.

Thanks

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default confused !! doesnt take much at the moment :)

had my revised eyfs training this morning and the lady said about downloading the development matters etc which is fine but she made it sound like we use them as we used the old ones, eg date when achieved in obs. I didnt think we were meant to do that when the new one comes in?? or did i dream that ???
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tammys-tots View Post
    thanks Sarah but where does it say this in the EYFS about not needing to do fire drills with children? does this mean we would if we have others working with us? do nurseries have to do them? medical permission for children? and legal contact? does it matter if we still do this because i think its important to find out whos got legal contact! is it because it no longer states this in the eyfs ive looked several times not noticed it.

Thanks
    I am pointing out that the revised Eyfs does not say we have to do fire drills...

This means that a new generation of childminders will be receiving training on a set of requirements which does not include things we currently take for granted!

Things like taking a first aid kit on outings, doing fire drills, asking parents about legal contact... they are missing from the revised Eyfs.

Everyone will have to make a decision for their own business - continue asking the questions / doing the drills / taking the first aid kit on outings / asking permission for emergency medical treatment etc or don't because it's not a requirement any longer.

I can't tell you what to do - only advise you that a decision has to be made.

Does that make sense?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrs robbie williams View Post
    had my revised eyfs training this morning and the lady said about downloading the development matters etc which is fine but she made it sound like we use them as we used the old ones, eg date when achieved in obs. I didnt think we were meant to do that when the new one comes in?? or did i dream that ???
    I intend to write a date when I have noted an observation linked to an area of learning and development.

I have never used them as tick lists - I have always had evidence to back up my dates and I will continue to do that.

What D of E / Ofsted do not want is the 'tick list' mentality where children are taught certain skills so they 'pass' or 'fail'...

We have to show progression so we must work out a way of noting what a child can / cannot do without ticking a list.

I think dates are fine if, as I said, they are backed up with evidence from you, the child, home, other settings etc.

Hth

Latest Inspection Grade
    Irrelevant
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I am pointing out that the revised Eyfs does not say we have to do fire drills...

This means that a new generation of childminders will be receiving training on a set of requirements which does not include things we currently take for granted!

Things like taking a first aid kit on outings, doing fire drills, asking parents about legal contact... they are missing from the revised Eyfs.

Everyone will have to make a decision for their own business - continue asking the questions / doing the drills / taking the first aid kit on outings / asking permission for emergency medical treatment etc or don't because it's not a requirement any longer.

I can't tell you what to do - only advise you that a decision has to be made.

Does that make sense?
    yes thanks sarah, i think ill carry on as before, even tho its not written down in the eyfs mrs o will mention it, bit like sleeping arrangements for children it does not state where you are allowed to put them to sleep but i no cm that have been pulled up on putting children to sleep in pushchairs and have been told they need to put them in travel cots! when i questioned ofsted on this they replied 'its up to individual ofsted inspectors'.

Sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loocyloo View Post
    Have you read that new requirement that parents must be provided with a telephone number to contact in an emergency? Have you provided this information to all parents?

no, i hadn't picked up on that!

i'm a bit confused about an emergency contact number ... all parents have my home & mobile numbers ...

for whose emergency do they need another number?

their emergency they just call me on my numbers

my emergency, they won't know there is an emergency unless one of my emergency people contacts them!

i am very wary of giving other people my emergency contacts phone numbers as i have had parents in the past who assumed that meant they WOULD look after her child if i couldn't! and got stroppy when i wouldn't give their numbers!
    I was wondering whose emergency too. Any one shed any light on this please?

jumpinjen Guest

I'm taking it that it means should the parent become ill or be involved in an accident at work etc and be unable to get to you to collect etc.... I have addressed this requirement in my parent info pack by adding my phone number and a reminder to ensure they have it available at all times should they need to contact me in an emergecny! Jen x

jan 89
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks sarah almost done just need to do my obs sheets not sure how do we need to put characterist of learning on them? also need to find away for my parents to share info do they have to write it or can i after being verbally told? your ebook was fab

Latest Inspection Grade
    Irrelevant
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ballette View Post
    I was wondering whose emergency too. Any one shed any light on this please?
    i think it means your mobile and house number. i only give mine and co childminders numbers out thats enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12