do i need one for all activities
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    sep2011
    Post Thanks / Like

Default do i need one for all activities

I am due my first inspection next week. Spent all night last night updating risk assesments to just panic and realise not done ones for activities like baking, playdough etc. Anyone willing to share? Do I need to do these or not?

So far I have risk assessment policy, daily checklists, severe weather, emergency cards, all areas of house, outside, pets, walking to library, trips, car, walk to schoolpark, fire drill, evacuation, smoke alarm etc

please help

Penny1959 Guest

Hello

Risk assessments is one of those areas where we all have to make our own decision.

The requirement of the current EYFS is for a full written risk assessment of the setting indoors and outdoors at least every 12 months (or more often if 'things' change). This must say who did it and when

Then there is a requirement to risk assess outings.

Some people do one for every single outing so if go to 4 parks - they have a RA for 4 parks.

Some do a RA for every TYPE of outing - one for parks, one for supermarkets and so on

Some do tick checklists, some write in their diary that they hve checked things.

Then there are those like me - who think that bits of paper do not keep children safe - and so do what is needed for legal requirements - but then have their own systems in place to provide evidence that they do risk assess.

So in my own setting, I have

A full written annual RA - this states areas covered, has spaces for notes on actions taken or things to be aware of, it is dated, states that I did it, and I have signed it - it also has a review date - although if things change - it would be reviewed before that date.

I have a written daily checklist displayed in the kitchen - I refer to this - but do not write anything down - unless I actually remove or reduce a risk - and if so I just make a note in my diary

I have generic RA's for car journeys / walking / parks / other people's houses/ toddler groups - all on the same idea - a written checklist to refer to and to demonstrate what I risk assess - then a note in my diary if I take any action.

However - you will get lots of different viewpoints and methods of doing risk assessments

SO - the most important thing is that YOU are happy that whatever you do in the way of RA's - works for YOU and keeps the children safe- and you have the confidence to explain why they work.

Good luck with your inspection

Penny
    Last edited by Penny1959; 09-04-2012 at 04:35 AM.

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As Penny says some people write them for all activiites and some don't. I have seen lots of references to RAs on inspection reports and most seem to be about the wording - the childminder has forgotten to put 'written by' at the top of each RA or forgotten to date and review date them all.

However the Eyfs does say we need to - 'constantly reappraise both the environments and activities to which children are being exposed and make necessary adjustments to secure their safety at all times.'

So if you take this plus the RA fact sheet which you can find here -

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/f...sk-assessments

Then I'd say yes, write an overview of how you keep children safe in your play room and then a little note for different activities.

Hth