Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Farm visit - Bristol

Hello all,

my post is two-fold really. As the weather doesn't look too bad for tomo and I have a new mindee (I am also new to CM) who is VERY active, I am considering going to a city farm tomorrow. My question is: can I write a risk assessment for the visit in advance of going based solely on my knowledge of having been there before with my own children? That is to say, I won't actually have the time or ability to visit without children to walk around with a clipboard etc. before setting out tomorrow morning.

Looking through all the risk assessment posts on here, I feel I must be seriously lacking in paperwork as, so far, I have only basic setting RA e.g. around the house, outings (general - walking trips), a park we go to and a couple of playgroups we attend. I haven't ventured out with kids in the car so that is another I will have to write. Any tips?!

Just realised the post is actually three-fold as I am cheekily going to ask if anyone has a RA they are willing to share as a starting point for me to work form for visiting the farm in question tomorrow? It's the Windmill Hill one, for those in the know.

Sorry to sound so lame, I just find this aspect so laborious/scary (not necessarily in that order) that I tend to procrastinate for literally days before writing the damned things.

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

You only need to have a RA for each type of outing, so maybe softplay, park, etc. I have these types of visits listed as Animal Outings. Places that I visit on a regular basis I have developed a specific RA for over time.

I would look at how you are travelling to the farm; how you will get all the children safely inside, and how you will keep them all together once inside. Then where will you change them, give them snacks and drinks; how will you ensure that the children don't get bitten; how you will ensure the children wash their hands, etc.

I know this City Farm quite well and once the children are inside the main gate it is not easy for them to get out - unless the gate is left open, of course. And watch out for those Indian Runner Ducks!

Have a great day!

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of farms have their own risk assessments for school visits , its certainly worth asking or looking on the website - or find one for another farm you can adapt?
    This one looks like a good start
    http://www.deencityfarm.co.uk/Cataly.../01_Farm_Tours
    Last edited by mama2three; 09-03-2012 at 07:43 AM.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, you two,

Thanks so much for the tips and advice. I think I will just make some additions to my general outings RA then and perhaps also ask at the farm for their version (great plan!)

Really helpful thank you.

L x

P.S. My daughter blimmin loves those ducks (I think they're terrifying!)

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you had a great day!