Getting in & out of the car with two toddlers
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting in & out of the car with two toddlers

What's the safest way to get 2 walking children (a 1yr old and 18mth) in and out of the car when I've not got a pram with me.

Usually one of them is in the pram so I can keep them safe whilst strapping in the other child. But recently I've been having them both on reins when walking vshort distances from carpark to building. This means I need to keep one child safe outside the car whilst strapping the other one in (I hope that makes sense)

I've tried putting my leg through the reins of the child outside the car to stop them escaping (they're too young to be trusted to stand still), whilst putting the other child in the car but it's really impractical and looks like something out of a comedy sketch.

Any helpful tips appreciated

Sweetpea x

Penny1959 Guest

Well this is something I am now an expert in - I have 4 to get in and out of car - all just 2 or under 2 (and having been doing so for last year)

If no buggy with me.

Getting in car, open door to car stand children next to car (so car door offerring some protection / safety. 'dump each child in a car seat - not taking eyes off them for one second - then strap each one in (they learnt very quickly to sit still in car seat while waiting for me to strap them in.

Getting out of car

Unstrap all of them - lift out the most sensible one tell them to hold on to your coat or jumper -( if won't stand still try having place that can secure reins to -not ideal but could have strap of reins through your jean blt loop) lift others out as quick as possible hold hands (yes I can hold 4 hands at once if need to.

I also taught mine to stand holding handle of nappy bag - I found it helped to give them something to do.

To be honest though until they were 20 m (ish) I nearly always took a buggy - even though not room for them all to sit in - it was something to attach reins to / tell them to hold on to.

If I was either leaving or arriving at setting - I would move them in and out of car one at a time using safety gate across lounge to keep them safe (they could see me / and me them)

Penny

I practiced lots on my drive in the car - sing a song - out of the car

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We teach ours from a very young age to do ' safe hands'. This involves when waiting to get in the car/van or when they get out of the car/van they must have their hands touching the car. ( bit like they're waiting to be frisked ! )

Really it just concentrates their mind into not bimbling about and risk wandering/dashing off.

Of course they still need watching like a hawk and can't be trusted to maintain 'safe hands' for more than a few seconds but like Penny getting them to hold the change bag strap it gives them something to think about.

Our OFSTED inspector really liked the idea.

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I have lots of littlies too! Usually 2 1yr olds & a 2yr old or 3 1yr olds & a 2yr old! I too put them all in the car then strap them in but I put them standing in front of the seats till I strap them in to stop them from diving out their seats! I have a deep foot well so its a long wasy down!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkles View Post
    We teach ours from a very young age to do ' safe hands'. This involves when waiting to get in the car/van or when they get out of the car/van they must have their hands touching the car. ( bit like they're waiting to be frisked ! )

Really it just concentrates their mind into not bimbling about and risk wandering/dashing off.

Of course they still need watching like a hawk and can't be trusted to maintain 'safe hands' for more than a few seconds but like Penny getting them to hold the change bag strap it gives them something to think about.

I also do this with my Lo's. As soon as they are old enough to walk! I use the door as a barrier and teach each child to hold the side of the storage pocket on the door. It seems to work very well, although occasionally I have to be very firm to start with. I have one child ATM who is a 'runner' she hates holding anything at all-hand-pram-reins! Its a battle but she's getting there!

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 16 months old, 2.5 year old and a 3 year old.

When going to the car from home I carry 16 month old and the two others walk with me. I open the door and help the old two climb in wile still carrying 16mo. The two older one climb in their seats while I strap the youngest one. I then go round and strap the others... That way all the kids are safe in the car and I have not got to worry about any of them running off... My biggest problem is them with their feet on the seats lol

If I have the pushchair I put the two older ones in, then get LO one, then strap them all in.

I have a Zafira and two car seat in the far rear and one in the normal back seats. I can reach all seats from the one door. (have to climb in though lol)

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks everyone for your detailed responses they've been really helpful and a good reality check for me

I've decided that actually my 18mth old soon isn't old enough to be trusted to do safe hands yet (although I will be training him & doing it with his 4yr old brother too).

My 1yr Mindee will not suffer if kept in the pram a little longer, even on short trips unless I'm making short walking trips from my home.

Thanks

Sweetpea x

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got two little ones take them both to car,open door walk towardscar lift them in one at once while they are stood in front of me once both in car pick them up peace in car seats then fasten them in . getting out unfasten get them to stand in foot well take them out one at once have reins on so I hold reins while I get other one out. I now put reins on when ever I go in car after I updated risk assessment. when my car almost set on fire and I kept thinking how would I have dealt with them if they had been with me.
    Dust its Fairy Dust

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i open the car pop them both in the foot well then strap them in one at a time.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Think I may use this term - like safe hands - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkles View Post