Help I'm new - risk assesment hell :)
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help I'm new - risk assesment hell :)

Hi

I've just started chilminding and I am already drained with the paperwork, but realise that once its in place, it WILL be easier....please agree lol

Am I ok to do a generic risk assesment for activities or will Ofsted require individual ones, I've done them for all the registered rooms, front and back garden, a daily one which includes school run and checking toys. Then today it dawned on me that I need to do one for crafts etc...is this right please?

Also, i've done them for certain outings, but will a generic one for playgroups and parks be ok, or one for each park or group that I may attend.

SOrry about this but I want to get it right from the start, then I can get on with self evaluation form, OFsted will be coming in next few weeks and I am sooo nervous

thanks
    mel x

Dec 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't have them for crafts I have them for

All rooms in the house
    All walks/getting in and out of the car
    Every toddler group/activity class

and I got outstanding for keeping children safe
    Paula

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My inspector spent ages with my risk assessments file - she was looking for gaps! I have them for everything and she commented that they were robust.

It does, I am afraid, depend on your inspector.

However you could build them up over time, as you reflect on your provision

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,

I would strongly recommend you buying sarah's e-book on the subject. I have and it is AMAZING. I have got ideas from it that I would never have thought about. I almost have risk assessments for my risk assessments now!!!

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by singlewiththree View Post
    I don't have them for crafts I have them for

All rooms in the house
    All walks/getting in and out of the car
    Every toddler group/activity class

and I got outstanding for keeping children safe
    We do the same, but as sarah says all inspectors are different. My argument if ever I'm questioned is that a piece of paper is only upto date the minute you write it. I constantly risk assess and deal with each situation as and when it arises

Sept 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your replies...I will do one then at least if I get a 'not so nice' inspector I've covered myself, they must appreciate that you're still learning.

I feel you dont really know what you're doing until you realise you're not doing something someone else says!!

When I decided to become a childminder I certainly didnt bargain for all the paperwork lol

thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help with Risk assessment

Do the childminders need to sign the risk assessment every day.And what about the risk assesssment for parks.
    My ofsted inspection is due in two weeks pls help.I sign nearly everyday at the back is this required.Pls email to ceci_anu@yahoo.com

Feb 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

After writing in depth risk assessments do you still need a daily checklist? Thanks

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I've also just started aug2011 i have my inspection this week HELP!!!!

I've also just started aug2011 i have my inspection this week HELP!!!! been having a whirlwind of a ride all weekend. Have I got enough policy and proceedures? Have i covered all areas for a risk assesment? Is a monthly observation enough for child aged 3-4yrs? pls someone help me !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by melmeadows View Post
    Hi

I've just started chilminding and I am already drained with the paperwork, but realise that once its in place, it WILL be easier....please agree lol

Am I ok to do a generic risk assesment for activities or will Ofsted require individual ones, I've done them for all the registered rooms, front and back garden, a daily one which includes school run and checking toys. Then today it dawned on me that I need to do one for crafts etc...is this right please?

Also, i've done them for certain outings, but will a generic one for playgroups and parks be ok, or one for each park or group that I may attend.

SOrry about this but I want to get it right from the start, then I can get on with self evaluation form, OFsted will be coming in next few weeks and I am sooo nervous

thanks
    mel x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krazytz View Post
    I've also just started aug2011 i have my inspection this week HELP!!!! been having a whirlwind of a ride all weekend. Have I got enough policy and proceedures? Have i covered all areas for a risk assesment? Is a monthly observation enough for child aged 3-4yrs? pls someone help me !!!
    There is a list of statutory policies and procedures here -

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/fo...ad.php?t=45805

Risk assessments must cover everything a child comes into contact with - so all rooms, activities, outside play, outings etc.

For obs it depends on how often you have the child. I tend to do 1 a week - noting what the child enjoys, is saying is doing etc - for a 2 day child. This allows me to plan ahead and know what games etc might interest him next time he attends.

Good luck with your inspection!