Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Aquarium risk assessment

I need your help in a risk assessment for a fish tank that we have acquired. I have looked at some old threads but there is conflicting information.

1. It is a glass tank on a stand. Do we need to put safety film on it?

2. It currently has a glass lid. This we can get made out of safety glass. Do we have to have it taped down?

3. All chemicals etc will be in the stand cupboard which will have child locks on.

4. It will be in a low traffic area so low risk of child crashing into it.

5. Will it need some sort of barrier round it?

6. Children won't be able to feed the fish without me and will wash hands after etc.

Any help greatly received - it's currently sitting in our garage and I really want to get it sorted so the kids might be able to have fish for Christmas!

Thanks in advance for your help
    Amy

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

From what l can remember from when l had one they are made of toughened safety glass otherwise they would break with the volume of water. Will it have pump, filter and light, will they be plugged in nearby or will there be a trailing lead? Can't think of anything else wouldn't have thought it would need a barrier around it.

Penny1959 Guest

Will depend on the age of fish tank - unless very very old will be toughen glass.

I have one in lounge - plugs and wires not accesible, food and cleaners - same lid to high for mindees to open unless stand on chair. Glass won't break unless hit with some thing really heavy / hard.

I don't have a barrier round it - and I don't have a seperate RA for it - all risks are about approriate supervision. The only mention it gets is on my main annual (or as needed one) under pets - and it says - 'Tropical fish - ensure approriate supervision when in the lounge'

Penny

July 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

when I first started minding, and had my pre-reg inspection, I was advised by the inspector to just tape the lid shut when I was working - that was all.

Hels xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cockatoos View Post
    I need your help in a risk assessment for a fish tank that we have acquired. I have looked at some old threads but there is conflicting information.

1. It is a glass tank on a stand. Do we need to put safety film on it?

2. It currently has a glass lid. This we can get made out of safety glass. Do we have to have it taped down?

3. All chemicals etc will be in the stand cupboard which will have child locks on.

4. It will be in a low traffic area so low risk of child crashing into it.

5. Will it need some sort of barrier round it?

6. Children won't be able to feed the fish without me and will wash hands after etc.

Any help greatly received - it's currently sitting in our garage and I really want to get it sorted so the kids might be able to have fish for Christmas!

Thanks in advance for your help
    Amy
    Seems this is a thread from a couple of weeks ago so you probably have everything sorted by now....

My main question would be the size of the tank - this would be relevant as most tanks once filled with water cannot be moved easily so there is little risk of a child 'knocking it over'

Please make sure you take the time to let everything aclimatise before adding fish (depends if tropical or marine but both take time you cant just set it up and put in fish the next day)

I have never had lids on any of mine (have had both tropical and marine) as they have lights over them

You need to make sure the children cant add anything extra into your tank eg toys (a risk for your fish and whatever else is in there as it will kill them) and that they have clean hands if they ever put them into the tank so washing before and after touching the tank is best

July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your replies! Have taped lid shut when children about and locked doors of cabinet. Inspector coming in Jan so hope that's enough!!

Amy