Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Crafts on the floor - risk assessment

If you allow children to do painting, drawing and other crafts on the floor can I please suggest you read the attached article from Surrey CC.

I know a few years ago it was all the rage - let the children be creative in any way they wish and anywhere they want to be rather than stifle their creativity by making them sit at a table or only paint at an easel etc.

However reading the article has really made me think about this area of provision and whether my risk assessment is robust enough.

Not nice reading guys sorry

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsit...1?opendocument

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No Sarah not nice reading at all
    Poor child ,parents - and poor teachers.
    Mine do paint and draw on lining paper on the floor - its been thought through in a vaguely 'ra' fashion ( to avaoid slipping on crayons , stabbing with pencils , paint on the sofa!), but maybe I need to start documenting things more.

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Beat me to it!
    Blaze x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for posting this Sarah. It makes you think when you read things like this. Things happen so quickly.

Apr 09
    Post Thanks / Like

oh lordy (shudder)

can I be honest though? i'm not sure if when risk assessing that scenario I could have predicted that that tha equipment could be a potential hazard to cause serious harm. I mean its almost a freak accident. I worry now that I am going to have missed something in all my risk assesments that I have no way of taking into account because it either would never occur to me, I don't recognise the risk or its something so out there that it it doesn't cross my mind. I mean clearly after this accident - people think oh yes thats definately something to be aware of - but how many people would have considered it before hand? There is common sense of course, but what about stuff like this that is kind of outside that sphere?
    triangle sandwiches are better than square ones...

Penny1959 Guest

Oh how terrible for everyone.

Mine do not do craft on the floor inside but we use paint brushes with water ouside (on patio and fence) luckily only use big paintbrushes with short handels - but not because I had thought about the possibility of an accident woth the brushes.

Makes you think

Penny

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Penny1959 View Post
    Oh how terrible for everyone.

Mine do not do craft on the floor inside but we use paint brushes with water ouside (on patio and fence) luckily only use big paintbrushes with short handels - but not because I had thought about the possibility of an accident woth the brushes.

Makes you think

Penny
    Same here Penny.

Poor Child
    Needs to Zumba

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

ouch! I only have stubby end paint bruses, now I know why

Post Thanks / Like

That is horrible - poor child

Thanks Sarah for posting this, certainly makes you think.

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uf353432 View Post
    oh lordy (shudder)

can I be honest though? i'm not sure if when risk assessing that scenario I could have predicted that that tha equipment could be a potential hazard to cause serious harm. I mean its almost a freak accident. I worry now that I am going to have missed something in all my risk assesments that I have no way of taking into account because it either would never occur to me, I don't recognise the risk or its something so out there that it it doesn't cross my mind. I mean clearly after this accident - people think oh yes thats definately something to be aware of - but how many people would have considered it before hand? There is common sense of course, but what about stuff like this that is kind of outside that sphere?
    I have to agree I thought the same. When walking in the woods do we add the risk that a child could fall onto a low branch and be impaled? Everything we do has to potential for a freak accident that might not be considered.

Horrible incident though, made me go cold and my thoughts are with the family and child and teachers/children who witnessed it.
    Pauline x

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The incident was 8 years ago - If there was a significant concern then it would have filtered through schools. It sounds more as if this school hadn't risk assessed at all. I may have risk assessed the same and concluded that with 10 year olds (which is how old they were) this was a very low risk. My risk assessment for toddlers wouldn't have allowed for the use of long handled brushes because of eyes in the first place. There's a huge difference between a toddler and a 10 year old. There is also a difference between a childminders house and painting scenery in a school with furniture etc to navigate. Childminders are used to creating safe spaces, schools are used to squeezing activities in to spaces they may fit!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uf353432 View Post
    oh lordy (shudder)

I agree!! With the best will in the world you can't predict the unexpected! we can all take what we believe to be necessary measures and risk assess accordingly, but there is no way of forseeing the freak accidents that can and do happen! By the way I also use stubby paint brushes!

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I did messy painting out on the patio with my toddlers earlier this year. We had no paintbrushes but one mindee did slip on the wet paint, so we did have a (minor) accident. Only thing, I've opted to change next time we do it is, to be on the softer grass.

However a freak accident could happen there too, with an oddly landed slip.

Poor child, and teachers / other children to have been party to this unfortunate mishap.

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Really not nice reading...it sent a shudder down my spine. There is just so much o think about when doing the risk assessments, I would never have though of a paint brush posing a risk of penetration.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This is something that took place in a nursery and was surely and hopefully a one-off situation.

As childminders we don't have to cater for so many children in one go, so hopefully could contain this sort of thing happening.

onceinabluemoon Guest

I haven't read the article, the replies were enough to put me off.

I'm afraid I don't do art and craft on the floor anyway, I don't want paint or glue all over my carpets, and I'd worry too much about a very small LO getting a pencil and poke somebody's eye out with it (a near miss was enough to make me realise that actually you could put your eye out with a pencil just like my mum warned me all those years ago)

We do chalking on the flagstones in the garden and the kiddies have sponges and coloured water in the garden so I try not to stifle their creativity too much.

Freak accidents do happen but they are usually things you would never have thought of, hence the 'freak' part. I do hope the child in the article was ok, I can't bring myself to read it.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i must admit we only use crayons chalks and hands on the floor but I too could not have predicted this. horrible
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got