Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Fire drills

Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fire drills

A couple of weeks ago I organised a trip to our local fire station, it was brilliant we got to look at the engines, watch a proper drill, have a go with the hoses and get dressed up in the uniforms. This tied in with my bonfire theme.

I continued on from that and have been talking about fire safety etc. My son got bought some lego for his birthday and funnily enough was a fire station duplo....score lol.

I pretended I could smell smoke I was explaining we need to go outside (I was not acting panicy or anything like and was being calm) as we went outside one of my mindees cried and said no and would not leave the house. I decided to carry him even though he was crying as if it was a real fire. I explained why we went outside.

When we got back I built a duplo house and put a fire in it with a man. I asked what we needed to do. My son shouted, get out get out fire! and my mindee cried. That was last week. Today I was just talking about what to do in a fire and mindee just broke down in tears. He is only 2 1/2 and LOVES fireman sam, what can I do with him, any reason why he gets so upset? He loved the trip we went on and loves firemen

Pipsqueak Guest

i think just lay of the drill and talk for now - let him forget for a while.

I would write it all up - childs reactions etc (you then have proof of practising drills AND some great reflective material) and how you are managing this.

Then slowly and occasionally (building up regularity) reintroducing the fire drills

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I totally see where Pip is coming from, however if you are inspected and you cannot show evidence of involving all the children in fire drills you might not get the grade you hoped for in the safeguarding section.

There is also the added worry that the child will be starting pre-school soon and will have to join in with fire practices there - and the bells in schools are a lot more scary than at home!!

Can he tell you the problem? One of mine had a phobia about getting his socks wet and threw an absolute wobble. Once we worked it out he now brings slippers and he's fine.

Hth

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    I totally see where Pip is coming from, however if you are inspected and you cannot show evidence of involving all the children in fire drills you might not get the grade you hoped for in the safeguarding section.

There is also the added worry that the child will be starting pre-school soon and will have to join in with fire practices there - and the bells in schools are a lot more scary than at home!!

Can he tell you the problem? One of mine had a phobia about getting his socks wet and threw an absolute wobble. Once we worked it out he now brings slippers and he's fine.

Hth
    totally agree with you Sarah - sorry I should have clarified that I didn't mean lay of the fire drills for a long period of time. I suppose it depends how often you perform them.

I had a child who hated the drill and it was the noise that scared her. So we practised without the noise.

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I spoke to parent this evening and I have written up a plan of action for the next 2 weeks. He loves loves loves Fireman Sam, he has the tops, teddy and toys. His mum is going to get him to wear the clothes and big him up, let him bring his toys and I have gone through my virgin box and set reminders on quite a few fireman sam programmes (when I know we are in)

We are not going to mention fire drills or leaving the house for the first week. We are just going to talk about how amazing fireman sam is. We are also going to talk about our trip to the fire station.

The following week I am going to get a fire hat for him to wear and be a fireman and HE can tell us what to do and make it fun for him. Getting more and more about fire safety in the home. (easing off when he gets upset) then we will try the drill again. I have lots of support from Mum which is good.

We asked why he got upset and he just said No. Not sure if he is scared of going out, just in a mood, cold, affraid of a fire... we will get there eventually. I have documented this down and will put it in his folder

Finger crossed