Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do I stop foxes coming to garden?

Hi there,
    I have heard foxes at night recently and last night I saw them in my garden. I am terrified that they might make an appearance during the day when I am out there with the children. Is there anything I can do to stop them from coming into my garden? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

There are deterrents such as sprays you can try - look here

http://www.pest-stop.co.uk/pests-foxes/

I don't think you're likely to see a fox during the daytime so wouldn't worry too much

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Put up some 'No foxes allowed ' signs ??

mar 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkles View Post
    Yup... that should do it

The fox wont come into your garden during the day as they will be tucked up fast asleep and apart from that the noise from playing children will scare them away, so your safe in the daytime, theres loads of deterants on the market but like everything some will work and some wont so its a bit trial and error, im seeing my farmer mate tomorrow (sunday) ill ask him what he would suggest (apart from a 12bore)

dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

we have a family of foxes that make regular trips into our garden during the day to sunbath, burst the kids balls and attack our cat!

we have tried all the sprays etc nothing has worked so will be watching this thread with interest
    PRINCESS DAISY FLOWER

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I remember a similar thread some time ago now and I know someone suggested something to do with tights so did a search and came up with this from flora

Hugh fearnley whotsit off the telly swears by human hair

You go to your local hair dresser and get laods of hair, bung it in old tights and hang around the perimeter of your garden.

They don't like the smell. I have never done this but I do know several chuck keeping friend who swear by it too.

Failing that a shot gun

Cx

ReReg10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

im surrounded by foxes here (which is why we are called fox county ) in my 35 years of living here we have never had foxes in the gardens during daylight. dusk onwards, yes

they are shy animals (even city foxes will avoid humans) and will be out during the day if injured, ill or a lost cub.

i personally love them & have nursed a few back to health when volunteering for the RSPCA
    What a crock!!!

June 03
    Post Thanks / Like

wow, i would be worried too!

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

when we lived on an estate on the edge of a small town/near woods and fields we had then in our street, used to watch from my window on those relly hot summer evenings when I couldn't sleep also had a cub in the garden in the daytime

now we live on the farm I have not seen any but know they are here cos of the smell and poops left behind

will ask farmer DH of any ideas - apart from shooting
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure you can stop them to be honest. We have them in our front and back garden most nights. They dig holes in the grass, poo a lot and heaven help the mess if we leave any rubbish / nappy bags out . I have had to put numerous bolts on my rabbits hutches plus other locking devices but so far touch wood I have never seen any sign that they have tried to get in to the rabbits. I have also never seen them around during the day so I wouldn't worry too much. IF one does make an appearance just keep calm, get yourselves indoors calmly but don't make any movement that the fox could determine as threatening or try to corner it. They won't attack unless they feel threatened. TBH I wouldn't worry too much.

xxxx

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi foxes are out and about during the day here, up the old disused railway, not been seen in a garden during the day here but they dont stand waving at you a badger has been seen during the day here(suffolk) also.If there is alot of commotion with noise from the children, I dont think they would come in your garden.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally Posted by Twinkles

LOL!
    Thank you everybody. xx