Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Risk Assessment Query

I have a fairly comprehensive general risk assessment for my house, equipment and local regular outings (school runs etc.) laid out in a typical RA table format.
    I was just wondering if all specific RA have to be laid out this way or if just a summary of thought process is ok? For example, hubbie took me out for lunch yesterday for birthday and we had one mindee and our DS with us. Mindee had already had his lunch here and was happy playing with toys in pushchair, high chair or sleeping. Never out of our sight - obviously Is it enough to write that as a quick summary or do I need to write it up on a table type layout detailing all the specific hazard types I can think of?
    Any advice appreciated - thanks!!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Risk Assessment Query

you must fully risk assess everything a child comes into contact with and every type of outing.

I have a comprehensive RA for eating out with minded children and another for outings in the car.

I then write a few notes about each place we go

Jun 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah

I have a RA for outings in the car, so for yesterdays trip out for lunch is it enough to write a few notes about the place?

If it's not too cheeky what sort of things to you include on your eating out RA? Mindee didn't actually eat yesterday when we were out he had already had what his parents had prepared for him but it might be a good idea for me to have that type of RA in place.

Also - I'm assuming (hoping) not every single individual toy needs risk assessing?

I have a general section for toys on my RA things like making sure they are appropriate for age, working properly, not broken, regularly cleaned etc.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes just a few notes about the place you went - safety of the high chair, flooring when you walked around carrying baby, fire escape safe and accessible, changing area clean etc...

Eating out - cross contamination, allergies, cleanliness, food preparation areas clean... those sorts of things.

For toys you need to risk assess everything a child comes into contact with according to the Eyfs. I take that to mean a general 'play' type RA and then a note of the types of toys / activities / games / resources and what might go wrong.

I do it by continuous provision areas - role play and dressing up (ties might choke)... messy play (might get eaten, allergy issues)... etc.

hth

Post Thanks / Like

Ofsted issued this fact sheet in August about RA's

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home...sk-assessments

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!