Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Aquarium in Minding space

Hi All,

We are thinking about upgrading our goldfish 'tank' to a big aqaurium. The only place it will be able to be placed will be in the living room.

It will be fantastic for the children and a great educational source, but as always I am worried about safety with all the water and the size.

I will ensure that all cables are safe and there will be a lid. Obviously I will have to update my risk assessments but has anyone else come across any issues with having an aquarium in there minding space? And other safety concerns I haven't thought of?

Many Thanks for your help.

TheBTeam Guest

Default Re: Aquarium in Minding space

We have a 4ft aquarium in our living room, but we have two sofas in a l shape and it is protected by one side of each iyswim, then we have a small coffee table in front of it so that children dont get between where the ends of the sofas are towards the tank.

I guess how much of a hazard it is depends on exactly where it is placed, I have a no running indoors rule, but you will have to give thought to what might happen if a child trips etc.

OFSTED never mentioned my fish tank at all and I have had an OFSTED inspector here on at least 7 occasions with dh and I over the years.

Oct 10
    Post Thanks / Like

It should be fine as long as you risk assess. We have had a fish tank at child height for 15 years at my nursery. Ofsted have never had any concerns about it. The children love it and often stand watching our fish.

xx

Post Thanks / Like

I was once told by an under 8's officer (before Ofsted) that my fish tank which was not in the minding space should have a lockable lid

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a large 3ft fish tank in my living room, Ofsted lady loved it, she asked me more about that that what i actually do

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a 3ft fish tank in the play room and the children really enjoy watching the fish. However when Ofsted came round to do my pre-reg she was concerned it wasnt safety glass so before they come round again to do my inspection I need to somehow cover it with a safety film Glad i read this thread though because I havent risk assessed it separately from the play room best do that right now

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 in my lounge and its never been a problem. They are on stands which are bolted to the walls and obviously have lids to prevent access. Make sure all fish food etc is locked away though as some can be toxic to humans

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    I was once told by an under 8's officer (before Ofsted) that my fish tank which was not in the minding space should have a lockable lid

Miffy xx
    Hi Miffy

Think I can imagine which one it was because she suggested that a friend of mine but clingfilm over the top of her tank to stop the children putting thier head inside! My friend did point out that this would stop oxygen getting to them and they would die!

Cx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christine e View Post
    Hi Miffy

Think I can imagine which one it was because she suggested that a friend of mine but clingfilm over the top of her tank to stop the children putting thier head inside! My friend did point out that this would stop oxygen getting to them and they would die!

Cx
    OMG

Angel xxx

Feb 13
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad i found this post im looking at getting one for my hubby but diddnt know how ofsted would be about it.

Apr 92
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky. View Post
    Glad i found this post im looking at getting one for my hubby but diddnt know how ofsted would be about it.
    I have three large tanks and a pond sharing space with mindees. Ofsted/social services have always been happy with this.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a fish tank and Ofsted were happy with it at my pre-reg I wrote a risk assessment and showed her where I keep the food out of sight of the children