Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Risk Assements Question

I'm in the process of writing risk assessments. So far I've only completed three and I'm in a bit of a panic.

Will Ofsted frown on me if I don't have a huge bundle to present at inspection? I should have my 1st inspection soon.

It's not that I'm unwilling, more that there aren't enough hours in the day.

I'm slowly working through and wondered if it'll be ok just to show I'm on the right track and slowly making progress?

I've been using Sarah's and the Bromley examples and adapting them to suit my setting but I find it hard when I've never done it before. Hence my slowness.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Risk Assements Question

As far as I'm aware you need to show the inspector that you consider what risks there may be and what you need to do to remove or minimise them.

Although it is good practise to have written risk assessments it is not mandatory atm but will be from Sept 08 so you may as well start getting to grips with it now.

I have a checklist of things that I do daily like checking socket covers are in place etc which my inspector looked at and then we talked about other things like outings.

Hope this helps
    Miffy xx

Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Miffy has pretty much said what I would have said.

You do not need to panic too much at the moment....

The inspector will only want to see that you have assessed your premises and dealt with any hazards and how you ensure that the children are safe when you go out and about.

As Miffy said......full risk assessments are not compulsory until September!
    Dee
    Independent Cambridge Diet Counsellor

Life may not be the party we hoped for.......but while we're here we should dance!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you need any more help from me, you only have to pm me and ask

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. Excellent advice.

I'll get going again over the next few weeks and hopefully get to grips with finishing the task.

son77 Guest

I too have spent the last week writing up risk assessments!

So far I have done house & garden, trip to park, shops, toddlers, visiting family/friends/other c/m's, soft play centre, walking & car.

I too want to do a farm risk ass but as yet we dont visit farms, but we will be in the summer months. So when I get another free few hours that's what I'll be doing next!

Looked at doing a COSHH report but when I looked at how much stuff I've got & how much I would have to write up, I gave up!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here's a farm risk assessment -

http://www.marshfarmcountrypark.co.u...ASSESSMENT.pdf

There's one on the soil association website but it won't link... think it's too long. There are quite a few knocking about if you put it into Google...

When I did my COSHH I ended up putting loads of stuff in the bin! Have you seen what's in the average cooker cleaner!

son77 Guest

Thanks Sarah.

I debated putting everything in the bin too & just use 1 general purpose cleaner for everything!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was just horrified by what I was adding to the water table! All those chemicals!

I use a general purpose natural cleaner from Tesco now - it comes in a plastic bag and I re-use the spray bottles. It's not as good as the chemicals and I need more elbow grease to make it work, but at least I can use it without feeling guilty and polluting the atmosphere!