Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Accident record keeping... clarification

We are getting lots of post-inspection feedback from childminders on the Independent Childminders Facebook group who are concerned that Ofsted have changed the way they look at accident record keeping.

I have spoken to Ofsted about this recently and their advice is that we need to demonstrate we are recording accidents and risk assessing to prevent them happening again.

I have written this blog - I hope you find it useful

Childminders, children and accidents - Independent Childminders

2. Likes bunyip, loocyloo, Mouse liked this post
    Simona Guest

How interesting that Ofsted have 'changed' the way they inspect our RA and accident prevention when the EYFS has not changed at all in terms of our responsibilities...they are very clear.

The DfE have recently stated that Ofsted must inspect according to the current EYFS framework...very confusing when the regulator turns to be legislator

MOH...I can imagine that cms would still record accidents and then review their RA following an accident.....that is still the requirement I believe?.

Feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thank you Sarah, another thing to think about. I wounder will every cm reading this do what I've just done and look in their accident book to see how many I've recently recorded!
    Thank you for keeping us informed.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

An excellent blog piece. Thanks Sarah.

A couple of tips, though I do fear I risk adding to the burden of paperwork:-

I tend to review the relevant written risk assessment after an accident, and make a signed, dated note on it to say I have done so. This rarely means making changes, but at least an inspectre can see I've done it. I'm aware not all CMs will have a full set of written RA's following the removal of the requirement (in 2012 IIRC.)

I periodically review my entire NCMA/pacey 'Accident, Incident & Medication' folder, looking for patterns, etc. and make a note on a sheet punched-holed into the same folder. This has the added benefit that it could highlight patterns of accidents or possible abuse at home or other settings. It certainly shows the mums who are bit quick to leap for the Calpol !

Even if all that is too much extra work, here's a helpful book with which to support the learning process and help children become more risk aware and self-supporting:-

(Pat Thomas & Leslie Harker) I can be Safe - a first look at safety Wayland books, pbk £7.99 ISBN: 978-0-7502-8845-3

The entire 'A first look at.....' series is excellent for a whole host issues affecting children.

Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    An excellent blog piece. Thanks Sarah.

A couple of tips, though I do fear I risk adding to the burden of paperwork:-

I tend to review the relevant written risk assessment after an accident, and make a signed, dated note on it to say I have done so. This rarely means making changes, but at least an inspectre can see I've done it. I'm aware not all CMs will have a full set of written RA's following the removal of the requirement (in 2012 IIRC.)

I periodically review my entire NCMA/pacey 'Accident, Incident & Medication' folder, looking for patterns, etc. and make a note on a sheet punched-holed into the same folder. This has the added benefit that it could highlight patterns of accidents or possible abuse at home or other settings. It certainly shows the mums who are bit quick to leap for the Calpol !

Even if all that is too much extra work, here's a helpful book with which to support the learning process and help children become more risk aware and self-supporting:-

(Pat Thomas & Leslie Harker) I can be Safe - a first look at safety Wayland books, pbk £7.99 ISBN: 978-0-7502-8845-3

The entire 'A first look at.....' series is excellent for a whole host issues affecting children.
    Thanks for yet another excellent post, Sarah, and thank you for the additional tips, Bunyip.

I'll be having a look at how I record accidents later as a result, and will have a look for the book you mentioned.

(Currently, I file each accident report in the child's file. This thread has made me think that perhaps I should consider doing an additional summary, so that I can spot any patterns that I may have missed as I was going along, and perhaps keep this with my written RA? Just me thinking out loud - not a suggestion for anyone else to do. of course.)

Thanks again guys,

LK

Simona Guest

Thanks Bunyip...your method is exactly what I have always used and would use...especially the monitoring of repetitive accidents.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks.

I note every accident and parents sign.

I note every injury a child arrives with and parents sign.

I note if parent says child had medication at home and parents sign.

I note if I give medication and parents sign.

at the moment, with one exception, I have a steady group of children who do not have accidents, incidents of poor behaviour or anything else that needs noting!

my medical file is separated into individual children, so I can see at a glance when anyone last did/had anything.

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting blog entry, and interesting comments from everyone else.