Outside tap
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Outside tap

Post Thanks / Like

Default Outside tap

I've got an outside tap in my garden with a hose attached to it, does this need risk assessing or is there any child safety measures I should/could do with it?

Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same, children love to fill the watering can up from the tap or buckets etc to water flowers or wash things etc
    They know they have to ask me before using and I am always in the garden with them.
    Hose is on a reel thing and heavy and they aren't allowed to unravel it as easy to trip over and gets in the way!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex__17 View Post
    I have the same, children love to fill the watering can up from the tap or buckets etc to water flowers or wash things etc They know they have to ask me before using and I am always in the garden with them. Hose is on a reel thing and heavy and they aren't allowed to unravel it as easy to trip over and gets in the way!
    Was it mentioned at your pre reg or inspection as a possible hazard alex?

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

No at pre reg they looked in garden briefly and were fine with my ra, was having massive building works in grading inspection so they weren't worried about outside tap!

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use water butts in Spring Summer - risk assessed.

We pay for our water and I am a big Eco fan so I discourage use of outdoor tap.

All water related play needs risk assessing to think about dangers of water collecting, but with good RA and adult supervision children get a lot out of water play and I encourage it.
    In my original RA I said I would ensure that I check garden for containers that might collect water and empty prior to ch arriving. I have now altered this as I deliberately leave out the containers in the outdoor kitchen to collect rain which the children use - under my supervision of course. One LO loves looking for water collectors to see how much is in it, he collects the water in a washing up bowl and then ....who knows what ideas he might have to play with it....but I am always there and I know where water collects in my garden. Years ago I had a child I taught die in a very small amount of water at a family wedding so have always got this at the back of my mind!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I use water butts in Spring Summer - risk assessed. We pay for our water and I am a big Eco fan so I discourage use of outdoor tap. All water related play needs risk assessing to think about dangers of water collecting, but with good RA and adult supervision children get a lot out of water play and I encourage it. In my original RA I said I would ensure that I check garden for containers that might collect water and empty prior to ch arriving. I have now altered this as I deliberately leave out the containers in the outdoor kitchen to collect rain which the children use - under my supervision of course. One LO loves looking for water collectors to see how much is in it, he collects the water in a washing up bowl and then ....who knows what ideas he might have to play with it....but I am always there and I know where water collects in my garden. Years ago I had a child I taught die in a very small amount of water at a family wedding so have always got this at the back of my mind!
    Oh gosh how tragic I'm so sorry, don't tell me this flora! X

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mumofone View Post
    I've got an outside tap in my garden with a hose attached to it, does this need risk assessing or is there any child safety measures I should/could do with it?
    Yes it does but no need to panic ...most homes have a hose
    The risk comes from the children playing with water 'unsupervised' or having access to the hose

Can you buy one of those reels to wind it around?...or block access to the tap...or put the hose on a high hook? minimise the risk

I too have water butts...again supervision is vital and also remember to teach children about water dangers, water butts taps can be disabled very easily and make sure there is nothing close the children can climb on and open the lid

8. Likes lollipop kid liked this post