Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Apr 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do I need documented Risk Assessments?

Hi all

I was wondering if you could help.

Do I need to document all the risk assessments I carry out? Just really confused cos I could write one out but moments later it could change so you could go silly.

Is it a requirement that we have them?

Ideally if someone could tell me exactly what paperwork I need to impress Ofsted I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rashi View Post
    Hi all

I was wondering if you could help.

Do I need to document all the risk assessments I carry out? Just really confused cos I could write one out but moments later it could change so you could go silly.

Is it a requirement that we have them?

Ideally if someone could tell me exactly what paperwork I need to impress Ofsted I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.
    It is not a question of impressing Ofsted ...it is to do with keeping children safe and safeguarding your practice and compliance.
    RA is a 'live' document...you write it and updated it as you reflect on your practice...a simple Word document will do that you can revisit any time you feel is necessary to add to it.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It explains clearly in EYFS what is required with regard to Risk Assessment and all other 'Musts'. It is a good idea to work you way through the document with a highlighter and mark all the musts clearly and then decide how you need to meet them in your setting. There are also some ducuments for EY provisers on the Ofsted web site for Guidance as to what Ofsted are looking for during an inspection.

4. Likes N/A, primula liked this post
    Apr 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the advice.

I have a variety of risk assessment sheets that I devised myself that are relevant to my setting.

In regards to Ofsted I do feel it is about impressing them after all they are the ones grading me.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

If you feel impressing Ofsted with flashy paperwork is a priority that is your prerogative.

However after being a childminder for 20 years and always gaining a Good grading the last two with outstanding aspects and gaining my LA Quality Standard Accreditation I can only feel sad that you are missing the plot. Gaining a good grading is much much more than paperwork these days believe me.

In fact since Sept 2012 paperwork is the last thing Ofsted concentrate on in inspections.

You would be well advised to read their document 'Getting Ready for your Inspection' or you may be sorely disappointed.
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 12-01-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Apr 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately I do not have 20 years experience behind me but I simply do understand what is expected from me as a childminder.

I just simply wanted to know if I had to document risk assessments.

Congratulations though on your 'outstanding' grades. You would probably worry if you graded poorly especially if you have been doing the job for so long.

I ask questions on here because I generally get the answer quicker and have found ppl to be most helpful.

It's not about fancy paperwork it's about having the right paperwork. It is still very much about paperwork which I find to be a shame as I would much prefer to concentrate on actually doing my job.

I stay up till late most nights making sure my paperwork is in order once I have spent time with my own children. I do this so it does not impact me doing my job.

From my last inspection, I saw what impresses Ofsted and paperwork was part of it.

So my apologies if I said the wrong thing or gave the wrong impression about my priorities.

Simona Guest

Unfortunately I do not have 20 years experience behind me but I simply do understand what is expected from me as a childminder.

I just simply wanted to know if I had to document risk assessments.

Congratulations though on your 'outstanding' grades. You would probably worry if you graded poorly especially if you have been doing the job for so long.

I ask questions on here because I generally get the answer quicker and have found ppl to be most helpful.

It's not about fancy paperwork it's about having the right paperwork. It is still very much about paperwork which I find to be a shame as I would much prefer to concentrate on actually doing my job.

I stay up till late most nights making sure my paperwork is in order once I have spent time with my own children. I do this so it does not impact me doing my job.

From my last inspection, I saw what impresses Ofsted and paperwork was part of it.

So my apologies if I said the wrong thing or gave the wrong impression about my priorities.
    You did not say the wrong thing...paperwork is important but the shift now is towards your teaching...that is where you want Ofsted to take notice of your good practice.
    By all means have a RA and make sure you can produce a document that you can update anytime you feel it is needed
    Come back if you need any further help

Apr 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Simona

I fully understand what Ofsted expect from us especially in regards to steering us towards teaching more.

Without blowing my own trumpet this is the area I excel at.

It's the paperwork that baffles me at times.

Simona Guest

Thank you Simona

I fully understand what Ofsted expect from us especially in regards to steering us towards teaching more.

Without blowing my own trumpet this is the area I excel at.

It's the paperwork that baffles me at times.
    Good... cut the paperwork to a minimum and to what is absolutely necessary and makes sense to you...the rest is just a waste of time and wastes a lot of trees when it comes to printing.