Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: cooker safety

Registered Childminder since
    June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cooker safety

I am actually asking this on behalf of the mum of one of my mindees.
    Last night he turned on the cooker at his home & it was on for approx an hour before mum realised.
    When she opened the cooker door, black smoke came billowing out. Could have been a lot worse. Doesn't bear thinking about.
    My question is have any of you got a guard of any kind, that covers the knobs/dials on your cooker?
    I've seen the ones that you can connect so the child can't reach hot pans, but nothing covering the dials.
    Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thankyou.
    Lynn x

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine gets switched off at the wall if we have straying fingers! It doesn't take long for them to learn not to touch!

3. Likes lynnslittleuns liked this post
    Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen anything covering the dials either, that would be a good idea as I have had this happen to. I have considered a room extending gate but they aren't terribly practical, I walk into the stair gates and do myself an injury as it is!! Generally when I am cooking the little ones are in the lounge with a stair gate to the kitchen in place but that doesn't stop them touching the dials at other times. I shall be watching this thread closely.

5. Likes lynnslittleuns liked this post
    Mar 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MessybutHappy View Post
    Mine gets switched off at the wall if we have straying fingers! It doesn't take long for them to learn not to touch!
    I'm the same. Switched off at the mains until they learn not to touch (switch is in my pan cupboard)
    Life is all about how you handle plan B

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Switching off at the wall is the safest way to stop them - some cookers have dials you can remove for cleaning and just pop back on when you need them so that might be an option

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lynnslittleuns View Post
    I am actually asking this on behalf of the mum of one of my mindees.
    Last night he turned on the cooker at his home & it was on for approx an hour before mum realised.
    When she opened the cooker door, black smoke came billowing out. Could have been a lot worse. Doesn't bear thinking about.
    My question is have any of you got a guard of any kind, that covers the knobs/dials on your cooker?
    I've seen the ones that you can connect so the child can't reach hot pans, but nothing covering the dials.
    Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thankyou.
    Lynn x
    I have knobs that retract when not in use .....but I could have left any of my ovens on for over an hour and billowing smoke would not appear as my ovens are always clean ....very important for general health and safety.

My advice would be to ensure that ovens have no debris on the walls or floor or shelves that would burn if cooker was turned on accidentally.

Good idea to turn off at switch though if you have a child who is particularly fascinated by knobs.

jan 85
    Post Thanks / Like

My hob has a control lock so it can only be turned on after the sequence activates it. It also beeps if the controls are touched when the lock is on so you hear that someones pressing buttons!
    If I had a lo who was drawn to it regardless then I'd also turn it off at the wall.
    My oven is high level so the switches are at my head height - 5ft+

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, I will pass this on to mum.
    Mostly just common sense really isn't it?

Lynn x