Fire evvacuation plans
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fire evvacuation plans

How has a floor plan included or displayed and is it really needed for a home setting?

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to do one for my development worker, still not clear for who's benefit it was, but it's filed now!
    Sometimes we just have to state the bleeding obvious, jump through some hoops and follow the herd:-/

3. Likes moggy, bunyip liked this post
    May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't got a floor plan - do I need one
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

Sept 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a floor plan when I was starting out and paperwork crazy
    Probably wouldn't bother now but it's there
    It just a basic line drawing on Paint of my down stairs and upstairs layout, with the windows in blue, doors in green and fire alarms in red. Also the fire blanket in red, showing where it is in the kitchen. I also wrote underneath about the house being non smoking and our emergency exits and meeting point if there is a fire
    Touch wood I won't ever need it, but its displayed in my hallway and parents will know where the fire blanket is and how to get out and where to go at least if we ever needed to use it xxx
    Kelly xx

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Goodness yours sounds amazing! Mine is a rough sketch with some arrows pointing out where the smoke detectors are etc!!!

7. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

This might be a useful print-able, especially if you want the children to have a go and demonstrate their knowledge of how to evacuate:

Fire Escape Map Coloring Page | crayola.com

9. Likes MessybutHappy, Polly2 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    This might be a useful print-able, especially if you want the children to have a go and demonstrate their knowledge of how to evacuate:

Brilliant! Thank you :-)

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Oooh, liking that! That's one afternoon activity nailed, thank you bunyip.

I think their results may be better then mine!!!

Jun 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

Ooh, that looks good. The chilldren will enjoy doing that. Thanks for sharing.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gem wright View Post
    How has a floor plan included or displayed and is it really needed for a home setting?
    Never heard of it being a requirement...all you need is a simple 'evacuation' plan ...what you would do in case of an emergency and put it together with your policies and hand to the parents in their pack
    EYFS 2012 page 24 (3.54)is clear all you need is a 'plan' and states clearly what you need to mention in it

Some LAs insist on it but that is just them putting extra conditions and requirements on Cms

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with evacuation procedure in a 1st floor flat

Hi guys,
    Can anyone help me, I am planning on starting a business in childminding and live in a first floor flat. I am just trying to work out the logistics of my evacuation procedure and how best to get children outside when taking them to the park across the road. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Meechyruth

Aug 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good - YAY!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I guess you will have to make a plan for each day depending on how old and mobile the children you are careing for are... Two who can manage the stairs themselves will be different from two not yet walking 12 month olds. The fire service may suggest you move to one room and call them though...

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meechyruth View Post
    Hi guys,
    Can anyone help me, I am planning on starting a business in childminding and live in a first floor flat. I am just trying to work out the logistics of my evacuation procedure and how best to get children outside when taking them to the park across the road. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Meechyruth
    This is impossible without seeing your set-up. Fire plans are very individual and I'd be a fool to tell you how to do this without seeing the layout, etc. Contact your local fire and rescue service to see if they will conduct a free home visit.
    Be aware that a lot have stopped doing this service (since the ConDemNation prioritised spending public money on starting fires amongst other nations' civilian population, rather than protecting their own from fires.)

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My ex technical drawing teacher DH spent ages when I was preparing my paperwork on an evacuation plan, he was very proud of it....the fire brigade popped in on my request to give me a once over and said we shouldn't have a plan to evacuate if we are upstairs ..just get into front bedroom (which was on the plan) but don't think of coming out onto garage roof - put towels/ blankets/ quilts at door and open windows - he said given the proximity of the fire station to my house they would be there in 3-4 mins and so would help us get out from that room. So basically the fire evacuation plan is get out if downstairs stay in front room if up - I have kept the work of art that shows how to evacuate from any room in our house, where all the fire equipment is, keys to windows and garages and doors etc... ( all colour coded) and annotated it with the the fireman's summary, but I did use my best handwriting....such a shame that the only contribution he made to our paperwork wasn't really given a second glance by the fire brigade!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Simona View Post
    Never heard of it being a requirement...all you need is a simple 'evacuation' plan ...what you would do in case of an emergency and put it together with your policies and hand to the parents in their pack
    EYFS 2012 page 24 (3.54)is clear all you need is a 'plan' and states clearly what you need to mention in it

Some LAs insist on it but that is just them putting extra conditions and requirements on Cms

My evacuation plan is in my RA file I have never shown it to any of my parents! Never even occurred to me. I do have an Emergency Policy however which my parents get a copy of but it does not have the evacuation plan in it.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    My evacuation plan is in my RA file I have never shown it to any of my parents! Never even occurred to me. I do have an Emergency Policy however which my parents get a copy of but it does not have the evacuation plan in it.
    As we all interpret the EYFS differently it is up to each of us to do as we want...many cms will have an evacuation plan in their EYFS Safety section ...all we have to do is put a copy in the Parents info pack so they know we have planned for such events...not required maybe but a step further in going above basic requirements?