Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Risk assessments and the EYFS

Risk assessments do not necessarily need to be in writing to comply with the requirements of the EYFS.

However, it is important that you can confidently discuss how you keep children safe with parents and Ofsted.

You might also be required to share your risk assessments with insurance assessors if, for example, a child has a serious injury while in your care.

You might find this document useful reading if you are unsure about whether to have your risk assessments in writing -

Writing Risk Assessments

Ofsted used to have a risk assessment guidance document but it was withdrawn and they no longer advise on whether we should write RAs or not - the guidance said to write some core ones such as inside the house, resources and equipment, outside and different types of outings.

This child-led risk assessments thread by Pauline is very popular -

Child Led Risk Assessments

You will find more free advice about writing risk assessments here -

Risk assessments and the EYFS :: Eyfs for Childminders

Evacuation procedures for children -

Evacuation Procedure

Daily health and safety checklist - it is not a requirement to write a checklist but many childminders find them useful -

Daily Checklist

If you have any links to free information about risk assessments please add them to the thread
    Last edited by sarah707; 25-10-2016 at 06:33 AM.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was picked up on my inspection for not having a risk assessment for visiting the Bath Abbey although I said I checked my outings risk assessment and I would just be repeating myself doing one for the Abbey. Do I have to do one for every trip?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Knight View Post
    I was picked up on my inspection for not having a risk assessment for visiting the Bath Abbey although I said I checked my outings risk assessment and I would just be repeating myself doing one for the Abbey. Do I have to do one for every trip?
    It is NOT a requirement of the eyfs to have a risk assessment for every outing - nor is it a requirement to have written risk assessments.

However, some inspectors do seem to expect them. It is up to you how you manage the requirement.

Personally I have them all in writing and they are regularly updated because that is how I have always worked.

Hth

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    It is NOT a requirement of the eyfs to have a risk assessment for every outing - nor is it a requirement to have written risk assessments.

However, some inspectors do seem to expect them. It is up to you how you manage the requirement.

Personally I have them all in writing and they are regularly updated because that is how I have always worked.

Hth
    Thanks for that. I think from now on I will just do one for each trip to be on the safe side. I don't go to that many different places so they won't take too long to do and update (the Bath Spa has been there since Roman times so is unlikely to require much alteration!)

5. Likes sarah707, Dragonfly liked this post
    pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    spouse of childminde
    Post Thanks / Like

Default risk assessment

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Thanks for that. I think from now on I will just do one for each trip to be on the safe side. I don't go to that many different places so they won't take too long to do and update (the Bath Spa has been there since Roman times so is unlikely to require much alteration!)
    struggling to view downloads