Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Fireguards

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fireguards

Hi, currently we have a gas fire with a raised fire surround bit on the floor with a fireguard that attaches to the wall but it takes up alot of space and is an eye sore. When we do our lounge we could get rid of it all and fill it in and therefore need no eye sore fire guard but I like the idea of a fire of some sort for heat if the boiler backs up etc. and cold evenings.
    If we were to get a wood log burner and not use it in childminding hours, and also have a flat fire surround with no raised corners to bang on, could we then not have a fire guard? I don't mind the ones you can put in front and move away but we don't want it attached to newly plastered walls, and it won't be used until our kids are in bed. I guess the only problem I see is if childminding children decide to open it and play in the old ash?

Any alternatives? Do they do modern gas/electric fires with child proof switches or something, but then we probably wouldn't use it as too expensive to run.

Help, can't decide what to do!!

PS - I'm not childminding at the mo. as on maternity leave but hoping to go back 9am to 3pm term-time only and once all the house diy is finnished

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You have to prove to Ofsted that you are keeping the children safe in the room where the fire is located.

That is fine if you say it is a back up fire and you don't use it during childminding hours.

However, if you do use it when the children are present then Ofsted will want to know how you stop them burning their hands etc.

You also need to show how you protect them from eg a hearth which is a trip hazard.

hth

Sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sarah, the hearth would be flush to the floor as would replace the one we have that has sharp raised corners. And I can't light a fire to save my life (I tried once at my mums and smoked the house out) so would always be down to the OH if we decided to use it on a cold night once the kiddies were in bed. If ever we were to decide to use it in the day I would definatley use a fire guard attached to the wall but until we decide to do that Id rather not have one.

Just wonder if depending on the inspector if they would say it still needs one in case a child falls and bangs their heads on one of the corner etc.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never had a fireguard as in both houses we did / do not use the fire when I am working. With regards to the hearth, when children are playing in there I chuck cushions over it. You could always get some of that foam pipe stuff but I don't like the look of it so I just use cushions.

xxx

5. Likes vix84 liked this post