Front Seat airbag
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Front Seat airbag

Do you let children under 8yrs old sit in the front car seat (when rest of seats full)?

If so, when they have a front facing car seat,do you turn the airbag off?

The man in Mothercare told me as they have delicate facebones, I should switch it off and put their seat as far back as possible. I cant find this written down anywhere though...

Thanks

Sweetpea

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I never ever let mindee's sit in the front but I do allow my own two eldest to sit in the front on booster seats but I turn the airbag off, I do believe the force of the airbag coming out in the event of a crash can cause awful facial injuries to children even in adults it causes alot of bruising.
    I don't like them sitting in the front but when I have the schoolies I have to otherwise I wouldn't beable to work as I need the car for school runs. X

FEB09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nikki thomson View Post
    Hi, I never ever let mindee's sit in the front but I do allow my own two eldest to sit in the front on booster seats but I turn the airbag off, I do believe the force of the airbag coming out in the event of a crash can cause awful facial injuries to children even in adults it causes alot of bruising.
    I don't like them sitting in the front but when I have the schoolies I have to otherwise I wouldn't beable to work as I need the car for school runs. X
    Same Here - but I have never seen anything written down
    Sandy
    xx

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nikki thomson View Post
    Same here too. Sometimes it's unavoidable but I make sure the seat is pushed back as far as I can. My DS is always the eldest so it's him that sits there.
    xxx

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I rang Citroen and they referred me to my local dealership who said that the front airbag should be switched off and I didn't need to push the seat back.

I'm still waiting for it in writing as the person on the phone agreed....at least I can contact Citroen and complain if they don't
    Sweetpea x

sept 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

ROSPA have a section on car seat safety - here is the link for the front passenger seat:

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/choosing/position1.htm

7. Likes rickysmiths liked this post
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can't turn airbag off

My car (A Vauxhall) has a front passenger airbag that can't be turned off. In the car manual it says a passenger must be 150 cm tall to sit there, unless you use a Vauxhall brand car seat that has a special electronic device to disable the airbag - costs a fortune and they don't make boosters like this. So, the short of it is I don't use the front passenger seat for any children.

Sometimes a bit annoying, but I am imaginative in using other transport and lots of walking with my mindees!
    A slight lack of profit (fewer children in the holidays) means I don't need to buy another car!