How do you get 3 under 2's out in a Fire drill?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you get 3 under 2's out in a Fire drill?

Hi, in September I have got two new children starting - 1 is 8 months, the other will have just turned 1 (not yet walking) and I will have my son - 21 months. Just wondering how any of you with 3 very little ones get them all out safely in a fire drill?
    Thanks

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

You literally grab them all any way you can!

I tend to look after a lot of very young children and always think my emergency evacuation practice is for me not them. It's my way of knowing I can get three, often four children out of the house quickly.

With the ages you say I would pick up the 2 youngest together and get your son to walk. In a real emergency it wouldn't matter whether or not the children were comfortable, you'd just grab them and go. It's quite easy to pick up 2 babies together, then nudge the walker along with your knee

Sept 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mouse - I agree - in a real emergency I would just grab them and do whatever was necessary to get them out, but if I'm just practising it's not nice to be grabbed and rushed from the house - may be a little strange to onlookers too!! Do you actually practise with the little ones, who would have no idea what is going on, or just know in your head you'd get them out?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I do practice moving them around the house, although not necessarily going
    right outside.

Even moving them from one room to another is good practice, as is picking 2 up when they both want a cuddle at the same time.

Each time I have a new child start, then every few months, I take them from wherever we are in the house (I vary the starting point) to the front or back door. It's more relaxed than it would be in a real emergency, so I can make sure they're all comfortable...or as comfortable as the can be.

I do think things through in my head as well. If both were asleep in buggies I've thought how I'd unstrap one, put them in with the other, and wheel them outside. I've never practiced that though!
    Last edited by Mouse; 04-08-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep a buggy up I my passageway, grab, shuffle, shove to door, load em in and dash. I have tried practice runs with thm all, it's very slow and not real but gives me an idea of the pit falls.

justgoodfriends Guest

The requirement to complete a fire drill is not in the revised EYFS, although it may still be considered good practice to complete it, it should no longer be an aspect that inspectors can put as an Action.

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

One on your back and one under each arm!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justgoodfriends View Post
    The requirement to complete a fire drill is not in the revised EYFS, although it may still be considered good practice to complete it, it should no longer be an aspect that inspectors can put as an Action.
    Thanks for that info.

I will carry on moving the children around for my own benefit (so I know I can do it), but it's good to know I won't be pulled up on it if it's not an official practice!