Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New House - New RAs

Hiya,

We are moving from our flat to a terraced house - it's actually the house I grew up in....so know the basic layout already

Just a couple of things that I haven't really encountered whilst registering the flat.

Stairs, children will be using stairs as the bathroom will be upstairs - stair gate top and bottom, and am going to get another banister that will be lower, as most people think the stairs are quite steep - what else do I need to include in my RA?

Fireplace in the playroom - didn't want this fitting but the guy renovating the house has wired it up before it was certain we were moving in. I will not be using it whilst children are there anyway - but will I need to have a fireguard in place regardless?

Thanks,

Kim x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's not about removing dangers - it's about showing how children are kept safe when dangers are there.

I have a little electric fire in the conservatory and no guard - I keep it low, teach children it's hot etc. I have a big fire (not used) with a hard surround (lots of bumping risks if children get silly) in the living room so I have a guard on it.

Same with the stairs - yes they might need a lower rail esp for little ones but you can also teach the older ones to come down on their bottoms.

Hth

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd include the following additional measures in my ra for the things you mentioned.

Stairs. Regularly check the condition of the carpet. Assess each child's individual ability to use the stairs and provde whatever adult support is required. Ensure other children are safe if/whilst you need to walk upstairs with another child.

Fireplace. Assess whether a fireguard is appropriate. If so, buy one with a BSI kite mark, fit it properly and make sure it is used properly (children seem to regard fireguards as indoor climbing frames; adults think they are shelves for the storage of [usually flammable] materials.)

Also, regularly check the condition of a fireguard, or any other item of safety equipment for that matter. Before I started minding, I foolishly assumed that owning safety equipment meant everyone was safe automatically. Then my grand-daughter fell, grabbed the fireguard as a reflex action for support, and a previously unnoticed broken piece of it went through her finger. I still feel really guilty and physically sick when I think about it. I'm just relieved that, if it had to happen, I learned my lesson before I became a CM.