Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default RA for 4 under 5s help please

Ok I'm know I'm being thick but I can't think what I need on a risk assesment when needing a variation for 4 under 5s.
    I'm thinking things like
    On outings children will be in appropriate car seats, children in nights will be strapped in, walkers will hold hands or the buggy when crossing the road or near a busy road or if we are near a dog that's off lead.
    I have an emergency plan which will be the same so will put that on there but what other things do I need for this, do unwed things in place for activitys or for when we play at home?
    Most of my current ras relate to all these things an will stay the same.an I can't think of anything different I need for the ra compared to what I do now

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you read my doc about variations here?

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freere...tions2012.html

There is a list of the things Ofsted will expect us to risk assess before we are allowed to give ourselves variations from Sept.

It's all about ensuring you keep children safe and healthy and tick all the EYFS requirements boxes.

Hth

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou Sarah it is a very informative document and I have read through and it has helped clarify things a bit but for me I still dont understand why we need to risk asses an extra child, all my risk assesments would stay the same and would cover having another child, the only thing I would say is different is is making sure there is enough room in my home and as ofsted have said I can have 6 under 8s then there must be enough room, I know the need to make it clear how I would meet all the childrens individual needs and learning etc but this to me is seperate to a risk assesment.
    arrgh Im stressing and Im sure its cause im reading far more in to this than I need to

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this for a variation now?

On the form I generally put that I have sufficient space for that many children, including adequate floor/crawling space for babies.
    That out walking the children would be in pushchairs, on reins etc.
    That I have an evacuation plan in place and this will be practised at the first possible opportunity with all 4 children.
    That I have sufficient child sized furniture and equipment.

To cover everything else (especially if it's for continuity of care) I say that as I know the children well I am aware of their capabilities and limitations and use this knowledge to assess everything we do on an ongoing basis.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is confirming things like you have said you have enough car seats so you have enough room in your car. Do you have enough High Chairs for meal times, cups plates etc. Enough travel cots and space for sleeps, enough bedding for a forth child. Enough buggy space, for instance would you need to buy, borrow a triple buggy? pairs of reins. Enough toys and resources.

This is what I have always put in when applying for a Variation for 4 under 5s.

Its all the practical stuff.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

oh ok , im getting it now,, thats what I've always done for variations in the past but I think I am getting confused as it says risk assesments and I am thinking more of the sort we do for outings, the home, etc that we do every day, so basicly its what I have in place to provide care for the extra child as a pose to re-risk assesing everything again. and of course putting down a statment of how I will continue to provide the EYFS and how I can meet individal needs.
    thanks folks and sorry for being so thick today,its been a long stressy week!

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine was brief. My variation was only from 2.50-3.45 one day a week and it was all on the preschool/school run so I just said

I will have a double buggy with child a and b strapped in. Child c will be walking next to me with reins or on the buggy board. Child d will be walking holding on to the buggy.
    Child c and d will be reminded of safety and the importance of staying safe throughout the journey.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm I definatly think I am reading far too much in to this compared to what I need to.
    obviously I need to wait untill the situation arrises then deicide what risk assesment I need in place,,
    the only thing is what happens when they want the variation for the next day, how do we then quickly do a risk assesment and check will all parents that they are happy? I guess saying that we need at least a weeks notice to do it but then I hate letting people down which is why I was thinking of keeping a general risk assesment in place which would cover all ages and the parents could sign to say they were happy with me taking the extra child on on odd ocasions,, this would also be handy for my adhoc child who only comes occasionaly and at the moment I have to say No if I am full