Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Apprentice

Registered Childminder since
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Apprentice

My sister has applied for an apprenticeship for a childcare qualification however can not find a placement in our area so she has asked if she can work with me. She says that I would get a grant to pay her and all training costs are covered.

Is this possible? Would she be an assistant? Could I take on any extra children as I'm not really sure it'd be worth training her with just my one my mindee, I have two under fives of my own.

I'm assuming I'd fill out the assistant form for ofsted and get her crb checked, anything else you have to do?

I do want to help her and it'd be nice having an extra pair of hands.

Any help at all would be great x

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think you need to approach Ofsted and explain the circumstances... see what they suggest.

She'll need a CRB first of course. I doubt it will affect your numbers if it's short term.

Definitely give them a ring - 0300 123 1231

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help

feb 11
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

hi just wondering on what happened with this as i am looking at getting an apprentice from the college aswell :-) x

pre-reg
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an apprentice working with me and yes you can register them as your assistant. I am able to have an extra 6 children.
    She is with me for 18 months doing her level 2 and 3.

Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just enquired about taking my assistant as a apprentice as I like her to get a qualification whilst here, or I may lose her to college in sept, went onto the direct gov website & emailled them, will hopefully here something soon :-)

Will keep you posted

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes please update when you have an answer. My niece might come work for me, perhaps as apprentice or assistant - thank you

jan 95
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter was an apprentice with a childminder for a year. To be left with the children eg. school run, she has to have crb and first aid, much like an assistant. Her numbers were increased. The college visit a few times to do various observations to make sure things are ok etc.

Jun 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the ball rolling thought the national apprenticeship scheme On 08000 150 600 it was so easy all over the phone no forms, some one called me this morn to verify I'm self employed & reg with hmrc & have a unique utr num, & this generates a auth code for the apprentice, someone will now call us in the next few days to set it all up

Easy peesy so far :-)

Jan 01
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taralass08 View Post
    I have an apprentice working with me and yes you can register them as your assistant. I am able to have an extra 6 children.
    She is with me for 18 months doing her level 2 and 3.
    Hi I have just been approached by a family friend to do this - I have had a visit from the college but still have my concerns about taking on an employee. Do you have to pay her NIS, and what do you do about holiday and sick pay? If anyone knows of any websites they can point me too that would be great too

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone

I have got two girls starting with me on placement from next week from our local high school. They each will be doing 2 days a week - 4.5 hours a day, their teacher who contacted me, says that they have CRBs as they have been in a nursery from Sept to now, and will be with me until May...

As its only short placements, is there anything you all think I need to do? Do I need to ring Ofsted to inform them I am taking two students on placement?

Any help would be great!

dec 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys can anyone help.further?
    I have a girl who i may be taking on as apprentice as she wants a qualification and.it would be ideal.

Shes 21. What happens with NI sick and.holiday pay.and.contributing to their training? Only i dont wanna do.it if i end up.making a.loss as i wouldnt be able to afford it.

Thanks guys x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
    Hi everyone

I have got two girls starting with me on placement from next week from our local high school. They each will be doing 2 days a week - 4.5 hours a day, their teacher who contacted me, says that they have CRBs as they have been in a nursery from Sept to now, and will be with me until May...

As its only short placements, is there anything you all think I need to do? Do I need to ring Ofsted to inform them I am taking two students on placement?

Any help would be great!
    I would definitely inform Ofsted, if only to cover your own back
    Mandy xx