Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mum as an occasional assistant

My mum comes round fairly often (she gets withdrawal symptoms if she doesn't see my children every couple of days!) and I have been told that she will need to complete a CM2 form which she is fine with.

What I was wondering is if she was here a couple of days a week and working with me would she have to do the ICP course as well? Obviously she wouldn't be a registered childminder but would it mean I could take extra children on certain days if there was a demand? Also, as an assistant if the parents had met her and agreed would she be able to be left alone with them if the need arose (for example a dental appointment) or would Ofsted have a fit? I'm only talking very occasionally.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Mum as an occasional assistant

My first thought is that you should give them a ring...

08456 404040

They will be able to sort you out and you will have it straight from the experts.

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again Sarah! I haven't even mentioned this to my mum yet but I will certainly give Ofsted a call if she likes the idea. She has been round quite a bit since I have been on maternity leave and I don't want her to feel like she is being shoved out. I think she's also a bit disappointed that I'm not returning to my job so that she can have baby a couple of days a week. I have told her that she can still have dd at hers for a day a week even when I'm childminding so I think she's a bit happier. Families!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cazz

Your mum wouldn't have to do the ICP course to be an assistant, but as well as the CM2 form she would have to have a CRB check. If Ofsted were happy with it all they might allow you to have more children and allow you to leave your mum in sole care occasionally.

Well worth giving them a ring.
    Pauline x