Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Assistant who is self employed

Hi all

My assistant wants to be self employed and needs to register as so with HMRC, can anyone tell me if she registers as sole trader, please any tips, Im stuck

thanks Lou x
    Louise x
    I believe in dragons, fairies, good men and other mythical creatures!

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

no advice sorry....some one will come along soon

mandy xx
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My understanding from HMRC (and I double checked about a month ago) is that you can be self employed if you are free to look for other work.

you don't have to look for other work - just be free to.

Then you simply register as a self employed childminder for tax and NI, keep a record of your income and fill in a SE tax return in April.

Hth

Penny1959 Guest

I have been looking into this - I have decided to register as a partnership with my daughter - who is my assistant.

It can be quite informal - as in a verbal agreement as to % share of profits / what bring into partnership at begining of partnership and take out at the end.

There are forms on the HMRC website - and if you fill these in you also have to fill in the self employed ones.

This option may not be for everyone - but I think is the right option for me and my daughter as I did not want to employ her - I wanted a more equal business and working arrangement. Of course we still have to comply with the Ofsted requirements re assistants - for example she can only be left with the children for short periods of time, and as the registered provider I have to check / approve everything.

But as a NQT early years teacher - she brings a lot into the partnership and knows as much about EYFS as I do.

We are waiting to hear back from HMRC - will keep you posted if goes through / any issues I have not thought of.

Penny

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

hi penny,

i know this is an old post but can i ask if this worked out for you?? my daughter is about to become my full time assistant but i dont want to go down the employing her route, rather stupidly i just thought she could be self employed maybe i should of actually looked into it x

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

hi penny,

i know this is an old post but can i ask if this worked out for you?? my daughter is about to become my full time assistant but i dont want to go down the employing her route, rather stupidly i just thought she could be self employed maybe i should of actually looked into it x

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cabby View Post
    hi penny,

Penny may not see this - pm her and I am sure she will give you the answers you need
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I would be interested in knowing this.....why can't your daughter be self employed? is that because youre paying over the limit to pay her taxes?

Quote Originally Posted by cabby View Post
    hi penny,