Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    July 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Husband becoming a co-childminder

Afternoon guys,

My husband is considering becoming a childminder so we can work together and I have a million and one questions about it if anyone can help..

1. Obviously he'd have to do the compulsory training and first aid course, is the CRB he has for us living together enough or will he need to be checked again?
    2. Would Ofsted have to do a pre-reg visit since he'll be working in an already inspected premises?
    3. Those of you that already do it are you able to make enough money to cover 2 wages?
    4. I'm assuming it will automatically "double" our numbers...(we live in a big house).
    $. How do you find living and working together?
    6. What do your parents think of it?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

1. Any change of circumstances means an EY2 - to do EY2 you need a DBS linked to the update service...

2. not normally no... if you are due inspection they might bring it forward

3. We have 4 little ones and 2 older every day and it works fine for us

4. We didn't want to apply for planning permission because it's expensive and a can of worms so we stick to 6 under 8

5. It's great and we complement each other

6. They are all really happy about it!

Hope that helps

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Did think about this ...but it comes down to your number 3 really. It depends how much you expect/ need to earn.

Sarah's point about planning permission is something I know people overlook. I have heard about a couple of local childminders working together with more than the 6 under 8 ratio that are being investigated with the local council.

It depends really if you expect to earn all your combined income through childminding and how much you need to earn.
    If one or both of you do other jobs too it helps, I hope you don't mind me saying but from what I have seen on here : Sarah sells her books and does consulting work, Bunyip's wife works as well as part of their childminding team..I imagine this really helps. I do educational consulting work and DH makes and sells his wares...this does not match our old salaries....but we are happy to earn less and have a better quality life.
    If earning money is your priority then think carefully, earnings can be unpredictable....but is a so rewarding job then this might carry you through.

Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Is your husband out of work? Or is he thinking of leaving a paid job? If it's the latter, then he needs to really think about it. Once he becomes self employed, that can open up another 'can of worms'. if he needs to take out a loan or remortgage. For some reason, they don't like self employed people
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

5. Likes FloraDora liked this post