Unpaid assistant
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Non childminder member
    Parent
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Unpaid assistant

If I were to work as an unpaid assistant to a childminder, helping in the general day to day way of making lunch, tidying up, playing etc, but not being left with mindees, doing nappies, would I need any courses or anything specific. I have DBS as the "responsible Person". Would I require anything else ?

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

So, is this right- you would be in the CMers home reguarly, and you are not a CMer yourself?
    And you would be playing with the children (not working as only a cleaner/cook).
    Whether you are paid or unpaid is not relevant I believe, Ofsted do not get involved in employment contracts or wages etc.

Are you DBSed by the CMer as a regular adult on the premises?
    or do you mean you have a DBS from another role somewhere else?

You say you won't be left alone with children but what happens when the CMer pops to the loo, goes to answer the door, runs upstairs to fetch something or to put a baby down in a cot upstairs? Unless you actually step outside the house in these situations you will be left alone with the children.

Registered Childminder since
    Oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glofish View Post
    If I were to work as an unpaid assistant to a childminder, helping in the general day to day way of making lunch, tidying up, playing etc, but not being left with mindees, doing nappies, would I need any courses or anything specific. I have DBS as the "responsible Person". Would I require anything else ?
    As I understand it, you'd still need all the same paperwork and training as a paid assistant, including DBS, EY2 and Suitable Person Letter from Ofsted (but as a Volunteer), Food Hygiene certificate (for preparing lunch), and Induction into the Childminder's ways of working, Risk Assessment and policies - these would be a minimum. First Aid would be useful but not essential unless you are on your own with the children. As Moggy says, if the childminder pops to the loo, or to the bin with a soiled nappy, you are on your own with the children, so then First Aid would be essential.

Surely the Childminder should be guiding you through this - not the other way around?!

I hope it helps,

LK
    Last edited by lollipop kid; 05-10-2015 at 08:26 AM.