Thinking of taking on an assistant..
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking of taking on an assistant..

Hi all, im thinking of hiring a part time assistant, i was wondering if any of you did the same, how did it work for you, what did you have to do, do they become self employed or do you become an employer, do they have to be ofsted inspected? sorry for lots of questions, any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an assistant. I employ her as I needed her to be flexible to suit what hours of work I need her for. I let her know her hours for the half term at a time. Mainly due to our work being quite up and down due to lots of house moves/ maternity leaves etc. I pay her 4 weeks holiday a year in the weeks I am closed and I pay her the same amount as if she was working so if she was working 20 hours week 1 of the holidays and then I was closed week 2 then she would get holiday pay for it.

I use bright pay as a software package for doing her payslips and sorting out hmrc.

She has paediatric first aid and safeguarding training. I did induction training with her. She had copies of policies and procedures plus I wrote extra ones such as grievance procedures. She has a register of her own where she clocks in and out plus when she is alone and which children she is left with. We both sign it every week.

I have a folder with her application, DBS, certificates, contracts, references, registers.

It is quite a bit of extra work

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am looking into this at the moment - am thinking of either an apprentice or a self employed assistant who does as and when hours, thought I might register 2 adhoc assistants so I have back up if one off sick etc.....

Simona Guest

If you are looking at having an assistant please get all the information you need first.
    Assistants are 'usually' employees...they can have fixed hours or work as 'needed'...the latter is more or less a zero hour agreement.

Co-minders can be self employed and work alongside you but they recruit own children and share expenses for the premises, food and other expenses linked to the setting she operates from but she is responsible for own tax and NI

I believe the govt is introducing legislation where employers have to pay towards a pension for their employees...nannies will come in this category....nurseries have to do so too..
    I think assistants will be in that category too.

Make sure you have all the correct information and know the implications.

SEPT 09
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you go about paying an assistant who brings their own baby? Does anyone have experience of this and how has it worked out? Im also weighing up between an assistant or aprentice

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry30 View Post
    How do you go about paying an assistant who brings their own baby? Does anyone have experience of this and how has it worked out? Im also weighing up between an assistant or aprentice
    My assistant used to bring her children with her... But she only did an afterschool or two a week.
    She used to invoice me for 1 1/2 hrs work ( at minimum wage rate ) but work for 2 1/2 hrs as I gave her children tea! It worked for us, but she was my next door neighbour and a good friend. It worked for her as she did other jobs during the day and it meant she didn't need to rush to feed her children!