Advice welcomed regarding Assistants
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice welcomed regarding Assistants

Hi Guys,

Im considering the possibility of employing an assistant as I've now reached the limit on my numbers.

I see 2 benefits:
    1.) I get some Adult Company & Assistance throughout the day
    2.) I can take on more children, thus increasing my earning potential

I have a friend who I think would be quite interested. Ive thought long and hard and see the best way as follows.

1.) She registers herself as self employed through HMRC and does her own tax self assesment and I pay her as a contractor.
    (i think this solves issues around employment legislation and things like minimum wage)
    2.) She gets herself a CRB sorted and I register her as my assistant.
    3.) I pay her a percentage of any income made from any children we take above my own numbers. Thus she has the opportunity to earn well if business is good but is also very aware that if the business isn't there I will not require her services.

What I'm interested in is advice as I'm still new to this. Does the above sound sensible? What do you guys do? What advice can you offer?

Thanks

Stacie

Registered Childminder since
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I pay my assistant per hour which can and does change, so cannot guarantee the same hours/days throughout the year and for instance this summer term she's had her days increased plus hours due to a sibling started but in sept another child leaves and another changes their days so she has less, if I'm not getting paid for whatever reason due to parents hours then she gets her money cut too, however I am dubious about taking on friends as an assistant as I found can cause problems which you wouldn't get otherwise,